Interesting problem... (solved)

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by Darth Cyrax, Apr 1, 2009.

1. Darth Cyrax

Darth Cyrax L2: Junior Member

Positive Ratings:
    I was about to post on here when I discovered the solution myself... so here it goes.
    I was mapping along, hit the compile and about 5 seconds in I got

The command failed. Windows reported the error:
    "The system cannot find the file specified."

The map wouldn't compile. Other maps had no problem compiling, so I tried to think of what could be the cause.
    The I found this line in the compile log right before I posted on here

Overlay touching too many faces (touching 145, max 64)
    Overlay signs/arrow_lt_red at 96.0 3196.0 -2052.0

And I found the problem. I had an overlay on the "floor" brush, which touched a huge number of other brushes of course. So somehow by extension, that overlay was touching those brushes also:blink:.
    Anyway, I removed those overlays and of course it compiles fine:glare:. And here I thought Hammer was broken.
    Just thought I'd share this in case anyone else runs into the same problem.

Here the entire compile log if anyone's interested
    Code:
    ** Executing...
    ** Command: "c:program filessteamsteamappsdarthcyraxsourcesdkbinorangeboxbinvbsp.exe"
    ** Parameters: -game "c:program filessteamsteamappsdarthcyraxteam fortress 2tf" "C:Program FilesSteamSteamAppsdarthcyraxsourcesdk_contenttfmapsrccp_orange_NHb2"

Valve Software - vbsp.exe (Mar 11 2008)
    2 threads
    materialPath: c:program filessteamsteamappsdarthcyraxteam fortress 2tfmaterials
    Loading C:Program FilesSteamSteamAppsdarthcyraxsourcesdk_contenttfmapsrccp_orange_NHb2.vmf
    material "tfcustoms/color_orange" not found.
    Material not found!: TFCUSTOMS/COLOR_ORANGE
    material "tfcustoms/color_grey" not found.
    Material not found!: TFCUSTOMS/COLOR_GREY
    Patching WVT material: maps/cp_orange_nhb2/dev/dev_blendmeasure_wvt_patch
    fixing up env_cubemap materials on brush sides...
    ProcessBlock_Thread: 0...1...2...3...4...5...6...7...8...9...10 (0)
    ProcessBlock_Thread: 0...1...2...3...4...5...6...7...8...9...10 (1)
    Processing areas...done (0)
    Building Faces...done (0)
    Chop Details...done (0)
    Find Visible Detail Sides...
    Merged 338 detail faces...done (0)
    Merging details...done (0)
    FixTjuncs...
    PruneNodes...
    WriteBSP...
    done (0)
    writing C:Program FilesSteamSteamAppsdarthcyraxsourcesdk_contenttfmapsrccp_orange_NHb2.prt...Building visibility clusters...
    done (0)
    *** Error: Skybox vtf files for skybox/sky_gravel_01 weren't compiled with the same size texture and/or same flags!
    Can't load skybox file skybox/sky_gravel_01 to build the default cubemap!
    *** Error: Skybox vtf files for skybox/sky_gravel_01 weren't compiled with the same size texture and/or same flags!
    Can't load skybox file skybox/sky_gravel_01 to build the default cubemap!
    Finding displacement neighbors...
    Finding lightmap sample positions...
    Displacement Alpha : 0...1...2...3...4...5...6...7...8...9...10
    Overlay touching too many faces (touching 145, max 64)
    Overlay signs/arrow_lt_red at 96.0 3196.0 -2052.0

** Executing...
    ** Command: "c:program filessteamsteamappsdarthcyraxsourcesdkbinorangeboxbinvvis.exe"
    ** Parameters: -game "c:program filessteamsteamappsdarthcyraxteam fortress 2tf" "C:Program FilesSteamSteamAppsdarthcyraxsourcesdk_contenttfmapsrccp_orange_NHb2"

Valve Software - vvis.exe (Mar 11 2008)
    2 threads
    reading c:program filessteamsteamappsdarthcyraxsourcesdk_contenttfmapsrccp_orange_NHb2.bsp
    Error opening c:program filessteamsteamappsdarthcyraxsourcesdk_contenttfmapsrccp_orange_NHb2.bsp

** Executing...
    ** Command: "c:program filessteamsteamappsdarthcyraxsourcesdkbinorangeboxbinvrad.exe"
    ** Parameters:  -game "c:program filessteamsteamappsdarthcyraxteam fortress 2tf" "C:Program FilesSteamSteamAppsdarthcyraxsourcesdk_contenttfmapsrccp_orange_NHb2"

Valve Software - vrad.exe SSE (Mar 11 2008)

Valve Radiosity Simulator     
    2 threads
    [Reading texlights from 'lights.rad']
    [34 texlights parsed from 'lights.rad']

Loading c:program filessteamsteamappsdarthcyraxsourcesdk_contenttfmapsrccp_orange_NHb2.bsp
    Error opening c:program filessteamsteamappsdarthcyraxsourcesdk_contenttfmapsrccp_orange_NHb2.bsp

** Executing...
    ** Command: Copy File
    ** Parameters: "C:Program FilesSteamSteamAppsdarthcyraxsourcesdk_contenttfmapsrccp_orange_NHb2.bsp" "c:program filessteamsteamappsdarthcyraxteam fortress 2tfmapscp_orange_NHb2.bsp"

The command failed. Windows reported the error:
      "The system cannot find the file specified."

2. Earl

Earl L6: Sharp Member

Positive Ratings:
    There you go. VBSP never finished because of that error, thus there were no input files for VVis or VRad.