[INFO] How to make a complex map not entity CRASH!

Vilepickle

Banned
Oct 25, 2007
I understood that func_details weren't compiled into actual entities in the final map, but that they were just geometry that was ignored by vis.

http://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Func_detail says this:

They count towards the edict crash for sure. They may not be entities in the map, but when I reduced their number I definitely noticed crash count go down. Which means the engine probably flags func_details as entities during the compile and takes up those slots in the final map's count.

Vilepickle

Banned
Oct 25, 2007
I discovered how to have up to the 4096 limit of entities. I was using prop_dynamics for models, and that ent type crashes with less entities.

Read the tutorial for updated info.

Paria

L5: Dapper Member
Dec 12, 2007
as a footnot i think anything that appears in cl_entityreport 1 is using edicts, so anything you have a lot of that appear in this llist in-game are likely candidates for the crashing.

For me i went a bit overboard on the lighting - removed 20 or so spotlights and i've been fine since.

And although func_detailing as 1 total group lowers the total count i dont think it has any effect on the crashes either way.

Vilepickle

Banned
Oct 25, 2007
as a footnot i think anything that appears in cl_entityreport 1 is using edicts, so anything you have a lot of that appear in this llist in-game are likely candidates for the crashing.

For me i went a bit overboard on the lighting - removed 20 or so spotlights and i've been fine since.

And although func_detailing as 1 total group lowers the total count i dont think it has any effect on the crashes either way.

the only thing detail combining would do is when you're near 4096 probably. Otherwise, not needed.