I think I royally screwed up :(

Liwi

L1: Registered
Jul 16, 2008
Okay so here's the situation. I wanted to tie all the walls, ceilings, and floors in my map to func_detail. So I checked the "hide items" option, selected all the walls, ceilings, and floors from the top view, and tried to tie them all to func_detail at once. But the problem is, now whenever I try to select ONE wall, or ONE floor, it selects everything. I tried ungrouping them, but that doesn't seem to work. On top of that, whenever I try to test the map, everything is black and I can't move :( I even tried undoing EVERYTHING and it still doesn't work. Please help me. I spent so much time on this map and I don't want it all to go to waste because of one dumb mistake :(

Rehsa4

L1: Registered
Mar 7, 2008
here's a little issue as well

I wanted to tie all the walls, ceilings, and floors in my map to func_detail

it will cause a leak and many more issues to do this.

But as for bringing everything out of func_detail, what shun said is correct.

When you turn things into a func_detail, you are telling hammer to make everything you just selected into 1 entity, which is a func detail. You cannot ungroup a single entity since there is only one assigned to all the brushes.

Not everything should be a func_detail, mainly odd shaped brushes that aren't square for the most part. If everything is a func_detail, then there is only 1 visleaf (or rather no visleafs since everything touches the void, but assuming you have everything enclosed in a box) and as such everyone would be rendering everything in the map, even if they cannot see it, and kill performance of the people playing.

Spacemonkeynz

L5: Dapper Member
Jan 31, 2008
The icon on the toolbar with the letters 'ig' (stands for ignore groups) allows you to select parts of a single func_detail, (as well as part of any group).

however, don't leave it in 'ig' mode, otherwise you can't assign or edit entities.