How to make Rideable objects?

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by Dr_Cranberry, Aug 18, 2019.

1. Dr_Cranberry

Dr_Cranberry L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    I wanna create a fun map for some friends to play on, but I wanna know how I can create Rideable objects, such as those seen in Balloon Race, Wacky Races, and Mario Kart?
    I tried looking and all I could find was CS:S tutorials.

Any help would be appreciated

2. Box Of Paper

Box Of Paper L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    I'm fairly sure that they are just func_tracktrains (like Bomb Carts), or func_brushes parented to a func_tracktrain.
    A func_tracktrain moves along a path made out of "path_track" entities.

If you want to disable the pitch rotation of the func_tracktrain (like in ballon race) you have to check the "No Pitch (X-rot)" flag.
    If the rideable object has walls, the tracktrain may stop if the player bumps into them, the tracktrain offers the option to damage players that block its path, but that's a bit harsh.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2019
  3. Dr_Cranberry

Dr_Cranberry L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    Thanks for the reply. Now my problem is that the moment the map loads in, the train has already moved. I can't tell if it moves the moment the map finishes compiling or if it just teleports to the path_track I set it to a trigger_once and it's still moving so I dunno

4. Box Of Paper

Box Of Paper L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    I don't have enough information to know what the problem is...
    If the func_tracktrain is moving when the map loads then you probably set an initial speed in its properties.
    If you give me the .vmf I can try and fix the problem for you, if you don't want to then send me some screenshots of the objects' properties (func_tracktrain, first path_track, trigger_once(its outputs too)).