How to load external assets (models/materials) in Hammer?

The Tiny Desk Engineer

L1: Registered
Jul 19, 2021
I'm considering making a Portal-themed TF2 map since there's so few of them on the Workshop, and I know how to extract materials and other assets from VPKs, but I don't know how to make Hammer load them and show them in the viewports. Do I just put them somewhere in the game directory? Or is it more complicated than that?

worMatty

Repacking Evangelist
aa
Jul 22, 2014
Yes, you add them somewhere in the game directory. No, it's not typically more complicated than that but you can make it more complicated if you like. Here's a guide: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2216526350

Do bear in mind that some games' assets will be a version that's not compatible with TF2. You may need to convert some models or textures. You ought to check the Source SDK wiki for info.

The Tiny Desk Engineer

Jul 19, 2021
Yes, you add them somewhere in the game directory. No, it's not typically more complicated than that but you can make it more complicated if you like. Here's a guide: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2216526350

Do bear in mind that some games' assets will be a version that's not compatible with TF2. You may need to convert some models or textures. You ought to check the Source SDK wiki for info.
Well, Portal and Team Fortress 2 are both included in The Orange Box, I wouldn't expect them to be too different, if at all.

The Tiny Desk Engineer

Jul 19, 2021
Okay, it seems that the "height-ssbump" textures are causing problems, so I have to remove them and individually edit each VMT to get it to stop displaying a semi-transparent black and purple checkerboard over the actual texture.

The Tiny Desk Engineer

Jul 19, 2021
Nope, that just made it worse, now the ceiling textures are also broken.

Which is strange since I'm pretty sure I didn't change anything about them.