How to install Hammer and Hammer on Linux with Lutris

pintariching

L1: Registered
May 11, 2020
I've decided to create an updated guide on how to install Hammer and Hammer++ on Linux, using Lutris and Winetricks. The original guide that I keep referring to is https://tf2maps.net/threads/how-to-install-the-hammer-editor-on-linux.42473, but it's a bit outdated. The guide is aimed at Debian based distros like Ubuntu or PopOs, for other distros, I'm not sure how it's gonna work. Also there's a guide on YouTube that I took inspiration from:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rA61coFqV_Q&t=544s

First get the TF2 Windows binaries through stream. To do that, follow the previous guide from steps 1-8. Also I recommend installing Steam with sudo apt install steam as I was unable to figure out how to pass the -console command to Flatpak.

To expand on step 8 from the previous guide, move the folder ~/.steam/debian-installation/ubuntu12_32/steamapps/content/app_440/depot_232251/bin to the folder where your linux binaries for TF2 exist - ~/.steam/debian-installation/steamapps/common/Team Fortress 2/bin. You can merge the two folders, there shouldn't be any file conflicts.

The next step is to create a prefix with the required dependencies to run Hammer. I recommend installing the latest version of Wine from here: https://wiki.winehq.org/Ubuntu and also install Winetricks with sudo apt install winetricks. Now we need to create a prefix with the installed dependencies for Hammer:

1. I recommend creating a new prefix for each Wine application you run. To do that, run winetricks select create a new prefix and under Architecture it is important to select 32 bit and click OK.
    1708972536848.png
  2. After that, close winetricks and reopen it with the command WINEARCH=win32 WINEPREFIX="/home/user/.local/share/wineprefixes/hammer" winetricks. Change "user" to your username and "hammer" to your prefix name if you changed it in step 1. This command runs wine in 32bit mode because installing 32 bit dependencies in 64 bit mode is a PITA for some reason.
  3. After launching winetricks in 32bit mode, select your prefix (don't select the default wineprefix) and select Install a Windows DLL or component
  4. Select the following packages to install: dotnet20, dotnet48, dxvk, and everything from and including vcrun2003 to vcrun2015 and click OK
  5. Go through all the install windows (might take a while and there might be errors)
  6. Now you have a configured prefix and hammer installed. You can try launching it with Wine directly or setup a shortcut with Lutris.
  7. To do that, open up Lutris and add a new game (+ in the top left, select add locally installed game
  8. Add a name and select Wine as a runner
    1708973209823.png

9. Under Game options, under Executable, find your hammer.exe inside your Team Fortress 2 bin folder, under Working directory, select the bin folder and under Wine prefix, select the prefix folder that we setup in step 1. Also select Prefix architecture as 32 bit.
    1708973447099.png
  10. Under Runner options, under Wine version, select your System version of wine. Try out other versions if the system version doesn't work. You can add more versions of wine in the Lutris left side main menu under Wine > Manage versions
    1708973590163.png
  11. Save your configuration and launch Hammer. If you're in luck, it should work.
The only thing I haven't figured out yet, is how to make the mouse work in the 3D viewport. EDIT: The mouse does work, I just forgot to press Z

If you want to use Hammer++, the process is really simple. You download the zip files from https://ficool2.github.io/HammerPlusPlus-Website/index.html and extract the bin folder into your TF2 bin folder, where we dropped the Hammer Windows binaries (~/.steam/debian-installation/steamapps/common/Team Fortress 2/bin). There shouldn't be any merge conflicts.
Then in Lutris, configure the executable path under Game options to point to the new hammerplusplus.exe and it should launch the Hammer++ version now.

Last edited: