How to get a prop to move in a circular motion?

SorcererOfSoup

L1: Registered
Jul 4, 2015
So, I am fairly new to mapping, and want to make a quirky type-map with death traps and such. One thing I would like to do is have a sawblade rotate around the control point. How would one accomplish this? http://imgur.com/ZUUeUeM

MegapiemanPHD

Doctorate in Deliciousness
aa
Mar 31, 2012
-Make a brush using the no draw texture and give it the entity, Func_TrackTrain.
-Name the brush.
-Create a prop dynamic and set it to the sawblade model.
-Parent the sawblade model to the brush.
-Place path_track entities in the shape you want the saw to move.
-Name the path_tracks (ex. Sawmove_1, Sawmove_2, and so on)
-Set the destinations for your path_tracks so that they are connected in the shape you want (you'll see a line from one to the next if they are connected)
-Set the Func_TrackTrain's first destination to your first path_track (Sawmove_1)
-Set the speed of your Func_TrackTrain
-Check to see if it's want you want and edit it until you like it.

That should put you on the right path if I didn't forget about something.

SorcererOfSoup

Jul 4, 2015
-Make a brush using the no draw texture and give it the entity, Func_TrackTrain.
-Name the brush.
-Create a prop dynamic and set it to the sawblade model.
-Parent the sawblade model to the brush.
-Place path_track entities in the shape you want the saw to move.
-Name the path_tracks (ex. Sawmove_1, Sawmove_2, and so on)
-Set the destinations for your path_tracks so that they are connected in the shape you want (you'll see a line from one to the next if they are connected)
-Set the Func_TrackTrain's first destination to your first path_track (Sawmove_1)
-Set the speed of your Func_TrackTrain
-Check to see if it's want you want and edit it until you like it.

That should put you on the right path if I didn't forget about something.

Thanks a ton. I knew had to use func_traintrack, but was unsure. You're a big help. c:

tyler

aa
Sep 11, 2013
An easier way to do it in a circle would be to use a func_door_rotating made of nodraw and parent the saw blade to it. Then you aren't making a million little path_tracks.

SorcererOfSoup

Jul 4, 2015
An easier way to do it in a circle would be to use a func_door_rotating made of nodraw and parent the saw blade to it. Then you aren't making a million little path_tracks.

Thanks a ton. It's crazy, you guys are like wizards! I wish I could become as good and and learn as much as the great people in this community! ^_^