how do you fill up your server?

Discussion in 'Server Discussion' started by martijntje, Nov 4, 2009.

1. martijntje

martijntje L8: Fancy Shmancy Member

Positive Ratings:
    just wondering, what do you do to try and fill up a server, especially if it runs a custom map?

2. The Political Gamer

aa The Political Gamer

Positive Ratings:
    Run an official map (2fort) to fill up the server and hope to god people stay after it changes to the custom.

• Thanks Thanks x 2
  3. Jack Riguel

Jack Riguel L10: Glamorous Member

Positive Ratings:
    I'd actually recommend arena_badlands for this strategy, as it tends to fill up the server rather quickly (oddly enough).

Anyways, coming from helping fill a custom map rotation server with limited slots I've found that running popular custom maps is usually the best strategy for getting people to join and, more importantly, stay. Maps that are very very good for this include pl_frontier, pl_cashworks, cp_furnace, pl_waste... etc. Just look at the server list and if you see a custom map that has several servers running it, throw it on your rotation. If someone joins your server, then they're likely to have waited patiently through the download, and are thus more willing to wait through other downloads when the server changes to a new map.

Secondly, have a good group of 4 to 7 people to help jump-start your server. Organize your friends and set up an event so that you call can be on at the same time and all be in your server. Unlike other games such as L4D, people are more likely to join an active server then an empty server.

4. J4CK8

J4CK8 L11: Posh Member

Positive Ratings:
    I barely manage to join any custom servers. Becuase I'm from UK, and would rather play with under 100 ping, and there aren't many UK custom servers worth playing on. I get toyfort, 2fort, 2fort *insert new weather here*, and official maps. I get the odd custom server that's empty.

I don't get why people don't like customs that much. It takes 1 death to know the map usualy, 2 to know all the places. If people have to know their way around a map before playing then fair enough, but why not even dare join a custom server to see if the map is any good? Or are you worried about loosing your precious K : D ratio?

5. Nutomic

Nutomic L11: Posh Member

Positive Ratings:
    I dont think that you have to appeal to the people here to join custom map servers, i guess most people being on a mapping site also play custom maps ;)

6. Masakari

Masakari L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    Biggest thing that happens in our community is the encouragement of "seeding" - the act of people joining the server when it's empty and staying/inviting people until it fills up. StrontiumDog, one of the main guys there, even wrote a Sourcemod plugin to keep track of who "seeds", and how long they've spent on a server seeding it. You can view the interface here is you so desire.

On our custom server, we usually start off with maps that are fairly popular and have been around for a while before getting into what I consider to be the really good customs. Maps like avanti_b1 (Once we fixed the ridiculous timers on it), toy_fort, freight, etc. are maps that bring people in, and we find that a decent percentage will stay once other custom maps start to get voted in.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2009
  7. Altaco

Altaco L7: Fancy Member

Positive Ratings:
    Good server-filling maps in my experience, are:
    -Dustbowl
    -Goldrush
    -Badwater
    -Gravelpit

I don't say 2fort because often you get people who leave as soon as 2fort isn't on anymore.

8. MrAlBobo

MrAlBobo L13: Stunning Member

Positive Ratings:
    sigh, I still find it mildly disappointing that these are considered "good" customs

if your going for "pure" customs ive found frontier is one of the most effective maps to start on, otherwise ive always used dustbowl

and the thing no one else has said...you need luck

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  9. Masakari

Masakari L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    I don't consider them "good" customs aside from the fact that they bring people from our community to the server to help get the server seeded.

I've mentioned it before - our biggest strength in our custom server is getting our regulars in to the server. Sadly, over the past year mismanagement of the server by another group left a bitter taste in some people's mouth, and one of the easiest ways to draw them back was bringing back old customs that they remember playing, and ease them into the new, original, and *really* good maps. :)

I think of our twenty maps on there, I only have about four that are old seeding maps (avanti, corporation, toyfort, dbheights), and as good new maps come in like frontier (Which is actually becoming a great seeding map), those maps will slowly start to disappear.

Luck does have something to do with it, but especially in the case of a community's server, creating an enjoyable atmosphere is one of the best things to bring people back. People are willing to put up with a bad map on occasion if they know that they can come there at anytime and have great games!

10. MrAlBobo

MrAlBobo L13: Stunning Member

Positive Ratings:
    still, speaking from the players perspective its always mildly irritating when a fun map is about to end, the vote thing comes up and you see nothing but these crappy seeding maps, so you have to play one of them

from my perspective I will never join a server running any of those maps, and I am highly likely to leave if they come up, so you have at least one person that they have opposite the intended effect on

11. Cameron:D

Cameron:D L6: Sharp Member

Positive Ratings:
    Invite your friends.

12. FaTony

FaTony Banned

Positive Ratings:
    sv_cheats 1
    bot
    bot
    bot
    bot
    bot
    bot
    bot
    bot
    sv_cheats 0

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  13. Cameron:D

Cameron:D L6: Sharp Member

Positive Ratings:
    Or try RCBot

14. martijntje

martijntje L8: Fancy Shmancy Member

Positive Ratings:
    That would be useful if it worked as you think it does, but the player count doesnt work properly when you do the

say you have a 24 slot server with 3 real players and 5 bots
    the steam serverbrowser will say
    8/24
    however the ingame serverbrowser (wich I think most people use) will say
    3/19

15. Spike

Spike L10: Glamorous Member

Positive Ratings:
    Make it a cp_orange_x 24/7 server.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  16. TMP

aa TMP Abuser of Site Rules

Positive Ratings:
    What we do on this server is event spam.