How do I give brushes nice-looking outlines?

Noelle

L1: Registered
Jan 29, 2022
As shown in my previous thread, I'm trying to make a Deltarune map in TF2!
I wanted to keep with a pixel-art aesthetic, not only because it would be simpler for me to make than TF2-ifying every single texture, decoration, prop, etc. (I can't draw nor model for heck), I just think it would be a nice way to make it really FEEL like Deltarune.

hallway.png

And something I noticed is that all the textures have outlines - ones that are specific to a side.

outlines_example.png

It gives it a smoothed-out edge look, so I thought "Hey, that would look really nice if done correctly!"

So I tried to add outlines to the textures. It was my only idea, I knew it would be ugly, but I just wanted to make sure!

example_hammer_512.png

...Yeah. I ran into a few issues:
1. If I needed it on a long wall, the outline would become horribly stretched. Unlike the texture on the right, when stretched just as much, is still completely seamless. (Both being 512x512)
2. Being on a flat, sharp corner on both sides made it look less like an outline and more like a poorly stretched JPEG.
3. Even trying to cheese it by making the texture incredibly long made the outline thinner, but still ugly. It looks artifacted despite the camera being as close to the texture on the right.

hammer_example.png

4. I want the texture to be universally applicable, like the texture on the right.
No matter what surface I put it on, it looked nice and I didn't have to fiddle too much with offsets and scaling - just a simple "Fit".

I started to feel like there's a better, non-texture based solution out there somewhere. I'm not sure what said better solution is, so what would be the best way to achieve this?

outlines_example.pngnormal_corners.png

I'd like to specify I'm looking for any way to give a brush an outline that will suit this need.
I'm still open to using textures, if there's a more efficient texture-based method to achieve this that would be just as great!

(Also if you could tell me how to remove the LOD artifacting thingy when at a slight distance that would be great too! It's super noticable!)

Thank you!

Last edited:

Squaggies

L2: Junior Member
Jan 31, 2016
from my knowledge there is no way to give and outline to textures/brushes without either making the texture itself have an outline, or creating new brushes on the corners that use a texture that simulates outlines. if you wanted to make outline brushes i would make them func_illusionary to have them have no collision if they were to stick out of the wall. this requires a lot of extra work though as it's quite inefficient to do in general. i'll also include a little demonstration prefab vmf of how I did it, it's dirty and bad but if this is the effect you want you can try and improve it, just make sure you turn off viewing nodraw faces on your top toolbar

and for LOD kicking into action, in the VMF file put:
"$nolod" 1
into the curly brackets and it should do the trick, but if it doesn't import your texture with no mipmaps and make sure the nolod is in there

Attachments

• simulatedoutlines.vmf
    46.8 KB · Views: 76