1. On August 16th at 9pm CST, the site will be put in to read only mode for maintenance. Maintenance should not take longer than an hour.

Help with logics behind new gametype

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by maddios, Mar 15, 2010.

1. maddios

maddios L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    So basically I'm trying to create a map based on the gametype of World of Warcraft's Arathi Basin. I don't much like WoW, just like the idea behind that specific battleground.

If you're unfamiliar with the game, basically:

There are 5 control points on the map, all starting out as neutral. Players aim to capture the points for their team. Every few sec, a score is added to the team based on the number of points they are currently holding. Once a team reaches a certain score, they win and the round ends.

Now I've got the design of the map all mostly down, but I need help with the logic behind it.

How exactly would I go about doing this?

I've thought about making the game_score entity, as would probably be required, and with a timer, have each control point tell the game_score to add the score.
    My concern is if the game_score will recognize the teams and add appropriately.
    Also what will happen when the points are neutral?

Another problem I face is the fact that if one team takes over all the cp's, the game will declare them the winner automatically, something I don't want.
    To counter this, I've thought about adding an unreachable extra cp someplace in the map, that way it's impossible to capture "all" the cp's, and then use the control_point_master entity to not include it in the HUD. I sort of answered my self on this one, but I'd like a second opinion on if this would work.

Another problem is getting the score to appear on screen from the game_score at all times, and have it updated every few sec. I've seen it done, I know it's possible...I just don't know how.

Last problem I face is to help the game determine when a team won by reaching that final score. I really have no idea how to make this happen either. What if the score goes over the winning point?

This is a neat project I've been working on for a while, and help would be greatly appreciated. :blushing:

2. Firest0rm

Firest0rm L4: Comfortable Member

Positive Ratings:
    I don't know how getting the score to show consistently on the HUD would work, but for any logic with the points, I would use a logic_case, and a math_counter for each team, and a logic_timer per team per control point. When one team owns the CP, the timer for the team for that CP is activated, and every few seconds it adds a few points to the math_counter for that team. The math_counter outputs its value to the team's logic_case with the output outvalue and the logic_case would determine if the team had enough points to win

unless I'm forgetting something, that should work perfectly as I used it once a while ago. However, I have no idea how to get that to show neatly on the HUD, and you might need to use a different method to do that

3. MrAlBobo

MrAlBobo L13: Stunning Member

Positive Ratings:
  4. maddios

maddios L1: Registered

Positive Ratings: