help with cubemaps?

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by sclera, Mar 15, 2014.

1. sclera

sclera L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
  2. Fantasma

aa Fantasma

Positive Ratings:
    The scope in your sniper indicates cubemaps are being built in fact. What's the commands you are using? Are you turning mat_specular off?

3. takabuschik

aa takabuschik

Positive Ratings:
    1. do you have enough env_cubemaps in your map, to actually reflect the cubemaps?

2. make sure you build them properly:
    Code:
    mat_specular 0
    buildcubemaps
    disconnect
    mat_specular 1
    mat_reloadallmaterials
    (I think that's the correct one...)

3. is the texture a custom one? it might not be pakked correctly (EDIT: forget about this one)

4. sclera

Positive Ratings:
    I don't know - how do I determine that? Am I going to need to put cubemap entities near every window so that they can reflect each other properly?

I've tried every building combination I've found on Google and I end up with results varying between not good enough and terrible. I am aware that mat_specular needs to be 0 before I build.

5. henke37

aa henke37

Positive Ratings:
    But do you know that you need to reload the map before cubemaps are loaded correctly?

6. sclera

Positive Ratings:
    Yes.

7. Lampenpam

aa Lampenpam

Positive Ratings:
    Maybe try another texture there? :I
    Is it a custom one?

8. Nerdbot

Nerdbot L7: Fancy Member

Positive Ratings:
    I learned a tip recently that might help. In Hammer, click on the nearest cubemap and click "Brush faces," and select that surface. By default a reflective surface goes by the nearest cubemap to its center, but with this you can override it to go off the cubemap you selected (which is very helpful for things like reflective floors).

It might not look too pretty if you pick a cubemap that the surface isn't actually facing, but if it works it will at least help finding out what the problem is.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  9. sclera

Positive Ratings:
    Thanks everyone. I ended up making cubemap entities for the offending faces and assigning them to each other, that seems to have done the trick.