Half-Life 2 major update!

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Pocket, May 26, 2010.

1. PL-7764

PL-7764 L6: Sharp Member

Positive Ratings:
    Well, Valve is continuing their legacy of totally breaking things with major updates... :facepalm:

Eli's lab is EXTREMELY HEADACHE-INDUCING FULLBRIGHT now. And the skybox in the first part of it (right after you pass the dam and the "Black Mesa East" title appears) is totally broken - it's stretched so much that it looks like a bunch of awful smears on the inside of a cube. Not sure now if I can reset the materials to have actual proper lighting without disabling achievements - mat_fullbright is marked as a cheat.

Also, the "Blast from the Past" achievement is broken - as soon as the scrapyard map loaded, I got it automatically, rather than actually having to find the HEV suit charger faceplate.

Also, the console spams errors every time a new map loads, because apparently some materials aren't supported the same way on the new Source engine as on the old one.

Also: I can't see fire. It simply doesn't render on my machine. It's been an issue in every game for me since EP2 (except, strangely, both L4D titles).

EDIT: Apparently restarting the game will solve the fullbright issue, at least once you leave Eli's lab (so Ravenholm can be properly dark). Still doesn't change the fact that it screws up in the first place.

Last edited: May 27, 2010
  2. Trotim

aa Trotim

Positive Ratings:
    The only problem of the ones you mentioned I had.

3. FaTony

FaTony Banned

Positive Ratings:
    Check hl2 steam forum, u'll see plenty of them. Skyboxes, Breen's missing animations, etc.

4. Nutomic

Nutomic L11: Posh Member

Positive Ratings:
    Ill wait till i played black mesa to play hl2 again anyway :D

5. Pocket

aa Pocket func_croc

Positive Ratings:
    We've got a bug report thread going on the Steam forum. The fullbright thing has been reported here; you may want to add a post confirming the bug and listing your specs. They've already got a flood of reports that the achievements have issues (mostly that some refuse to activate). The fire is a new one to me, but I heard they updated all the fire to use the particle system, so it doesn't surprise me.

6. Grim Tuesday

aa Grim Tuesday

Positive Ratings:
    I think the worst one is that all of the day 2 parts, including Nova Prospket are fullbright.

7. Numerous

Numerous L4: Comfortable Member

Positive Ratings:
    To shoot off the lock on a door. you can do it without using any bullets at all, technically! (shotgun SHELLS)
    /epicFlameAboutShellsBeingBullets
    Some people got the orange box on 360, before finishing the game on it, then selling it for money to buy the PC version.

8. absurdistof

aa absurdistof

Positive Ratings:
    Please.. the only one bullet achievement was easy, I got that on xbox no problem :p

9. Freyja

aa Freyja It hurt itself in it's confusion!

Positive Ratings:
    I love updates like this. It always brings forth about a thousand problems in me downloading them.

10. Trotim

aa Trotim

Positive Ratings:
    I played through Ravenholm only using the Gravity Gun. I did not get the achievement.

Anybody knows what conditions exactly have to be met? What could've screwed me over, I can't think of anything? =/

11. Nutomic

Nutomic L11: Posh Member

Positive Ratings:
    There were some threads on SPUF telling the achievement is bugged, though it seems that it worked for others.

I keep waiting till they fixed everything.

12. Grim Tuesday

aa Grim Tuesday

Positive Ratings:
    I had the Cinematic Mod installed, so my lightmaps arent FUBAR!

YAY!

13. PL-7764

PL-7764 L6: Sharp Member

Positive Ratings:
    Did you use it until you got to the train tracks outside the mine at the end? That's where you should receive it, right after exiting the tunnel.

Eads-up for the "Counter-Sniper" achievement: For whatever reason, the snipers on the train tracks immediately following Ravenholm count for this. So kill them too, or else no achievement! :O

14. Trotim

aa Trotim

Positive Ratings:
    No, I kept it even through the sniper part and the combine battle after it. =|

15. FaTony

FaTony Banned

Positive Ratings:
    Where is my SDK update?

16. lana

aa lana Currently On: ?????

Positive Ratings:
    Did you shoot the lock at the bottom of the Ravenholm mine shaft from Black Mesa East with a regular gun or the gravity gun? And did you fire any bullets at all after it?

17. Cameron:D

Cameron:D L6: Sharp Member

Positive Ratings:
    They broke bunny hopping (Well, fixed it actually).

I am disappoint.

18. Trotim

aa Trotim

Positive Ratings:
    Oh, that I shot with a bullet. Is that part of Ravenholm already? I did not use anything but the Gravity Gun after Ravenholm started (which, to me, is when "We don't go to Ravenholm..." starts).

19. lana

aa lana Currently On: ?????

Positive Ratings:
    I have a theory that Valve thinks that too is Ravenholm. I really hate to say it, but try it again without shooting the lock with a gun.

They also ninja'd out prop floating so I wasn't able to skip Ravenholm.