Gaming Night: Part VIII - Some Day Soon

ryodoan

Resident Bum
Nov 2, 2007
if you can manage it, a good idea would be to have a message go out (same way the message announcing the event goes) 24 hours before gameday begins suggesting that people download the rotation, and giving them a link to the appropriate thread.

I did and I do every time there is a game day this very thread you are posting is repeated in the same format every game day and the initial post is updated with links to the maps every time one is suggested.

The problem was not the lack of a rotation with download links, the problem was the fact the rotation was not followed, hence, the download links were pointless.

MrAlBobo

L13: Stunning Member
Feb 20, 2008
ah...yeah i thought there were some odd maps in the rotation...

and im well aware this thread and the others are here, ive read most of them. I simply forgot about game day, leaving me to the pain of downloading from the server. So...there is already an event message that pops up on your screen the day before game day to remind you to get the maps in advance?

And hopefully I can release a beta of my map by next game day :D
Though I have high standards of what complete is...so...chances are not good

MangyCarface

Mapper
aa
Feb 26, 2008
Just a question, why is there a rule restricting commentary on the current map to the forums? When I test a map by myself I find it most useful to write things down as I see them. Isn't instant feedback a good way of ensuring players will provide feedback at all? It's definitely more convenient for playtesters to just shout things out as they notice them. An author can keep a tally by his side.

Thoughts?

ryodoan

Resident Bum
Nov 2, 2007
I think MangyCarface is refering to Colt's Playground general rule of keep the critique to the forum.

I think this is put in place to let people think about what they really want changed on a map before they say it. Also sometimes criticism can sound harsh if you do not word it exactly right. I think Colt would have to tell you the full reason behind it though as I dont really know.

Colt Seavers

L6: Sharp Member
Dec 30, 2007
The 'Please keep all feedback to the forum' arises out of trial and error.

I wanted mappers to be able to get a good run on a full server to see how their map played, but i didn't want the friendly atmosphere to change (due, for example to tempers rising as people argue about x or y - it happenned alot before we introduced the rule) - and I didn't want the mappers having their enjoyment of the game reduced. The best way to achieve this has been to insist people feedback on the forum - and they do.

I realise that this is not great for those thick skinned mappers out there who can take all manner of critique and comment in game and still enjoy it - but the Playground is meant to be an inclusive place, some are more sensitive than others, so it works better this way.

I also noticed alot of ill informed critique when people played a new map for the first time. Maps need to be vaguely familiar before you can judge how they play - in the most informed way. The system we have ensures people think about what they are feeding back rather than just blurt out stuff over comms/text.
However, to enhance the test sessions, we have something in development - an in game feedback system - menu driven - which will mean everybody is happy ;) Full details to follow in due course 8)

Last edited:

Colt Seavers

L6: Sharp Member
Dec 30, 2007
I see absolutely no reason why if you are on the server and WANT lots of feedback, you shouldn't @ Chat admin to say over admin chat 'THIS MAPS CREATOR IS ON THE SERVER NOW AND WOULD LIKE VERBAL / WRIITEN FEEDBACK AS HE PLAYS'

Do it this way to make sure the admin then knows whats going on and can accomodate it - frankly, if everyone is loving the map we sometimes go for a twice in a row on a good test session :D

The secret to all of this is simply playing on the playground servers (teamplay and custom map lab)- theres a good 250 server regs who'll soon start to recognise you and we are always really supportive of map making efforts - ask Jimbomcb and Youme ;)

Tokit

L1: Registered
Jan 5, 2008
Is the game day still going on Saturday? I'm gonna have a build ready in the evening today and would like to know who I can PM it to.

ryodoan

Resident Bum
Nov 2, 2007
Is the game day still going on Saturday? I'm gonna have a build ready in the evening today and would like to know who I can PM it to.

I am not planning on having it this Saturday. I was planning on really getting the ball rolling on this one next week so we can have an event on March 29th.

ryodoan

Resident Bum
Nov 2, 2007
sure, I have just been kinda busy the last few days and not really on top of stuff.. I will update stuff to reflect a game day for this saturday.

drp

aa
Oct 25, 2007
ryodoan,
Djive is (i think) ironing out the calendar scheduling system wich you can post all the info which auotmatically makes a thread. users can then subscribe for a reminder of the event.

if you decide to hold a game day, let me know if you need anything from me to organize it. i shoudl be available the whole week and weekend