Fortress Fever

CTF Fortress Fever A4

HQDefault

...what
aa
Aug 6, 2014
af2r - another f***ing 2fort remake

Yes, yes, hardly an original idea, I know.

However, where most 2fort remakes are just simple modifications, my idea seemed a bit more interesting to me: Revert the map to dev textures and completely start over from scratch. It's entirely possible that by the time I'm done this will look absolutely nothing like 2fort. I want to have some fun with this project.

HQDefault

...what
aa
Aug 6, 2014
Changes from 2fort to af2r:
-reverted the map to dev textures (obviously)
-added health and ammo like everywhere
-deleted a spawnroom and gave the other one 2 exits
-added a wrap-around route from mid to courtyard
-made the water area at mid a simple trough
-sewers are a touch more open now
-generally reworked the base's layout
-spiral is no longer the worst thing I've ever seen
-the intel "room" has been completely redone
-mid is overall a more open
-added some side buildings

HQDefault

...what
aa
Aug 6, 2014
Real quick I wanted to clear up any misconceptions about this being a "stolen map", as someone had during the playtest.

If I wanted to steal a map, I would just up and take a map in full and then pass it off as my own. That's obviously not what I'm doing here. This map is an attempt to build off of what 2fort is, not replicate it. There's no purpose in replicating a map, because we already have the original. I made this because I wanted to use 2fort as a foundation to create a better map based off of somewhat similar design principles.

Also it's fun.

HQDefault

...what
aa
Aug 6, 2014
So since I like watching both Crash's and MegaPieMan's mapping update videos I figured I'd jump on the bandwagon and do that as well, at least for this one.

HQDefault

...what
aa
Aug 6, 2014
-Added a middle building to break up the sightline between the two bases and sort of split mid in two.
==Reasoning: Feedback tells me that the main issue with 2fort's mid that I didn't fix was the major sightline between the two sniper balconies, and I've also been told that my mid is too large. While mid as a whole had to be extended even a bit further, it's overall much less open than in A1 now.

-With the help of windows in the mid building, any class can get on the roof of the bridge.
==Reasoning: Let's see what happens!

-Made mid a lot thinner
==Reasoning: Another thing I did to cut down on how open mid was in A1. This mostly cut down on dead space in the area.

-Wrap-around flank has been opened up slightly.
==Reasoning: This was mainly done to make the flank more appealing to use. It's not much faster than it was before, but it doesn't look so out-of-the-way.

-Made the corner area in the sewers a somewhat enclosed area and moved the health there to its original position.
==Reasoning: Apparently the way I re-arranged the sewer in A1 caused a slightline issue.

-Cut out some dead space from behind a stairwell in the intel area.
==Reasoning: It just didn't really make sense to be there. I decided to leave the other instance of this (which was on the other side of the intel area) in order to throw spies a bone.

-Remembered to run the VIS on normal this time.
==Reasoning: I was less stupid this time.

Read the rest of this update entry...

HQDefault

...what
aa
Aug 6, 2014
-Fixed an issue where the ceiling of the mid building wasn't clipped
-Also clipped some stairs
-Moved some health and ammo to where you can actually see them.

Also, I forgot to mention last time that I changed the light_environment to improve visibility.

Moonrat

nothing left
aa
Jul 30, 2014
I think the building you used to block mid is inelegant at best and just flat out bad at worst. It's a weird tall narrow structure that'd be spam hell to fight in, and COMPLETELY blocks all Sniper play from the battlements. I agree that 2fort had a Sniper problem, but removing the entire area for them to play on and have fun at is just a poor decision. Sniper should still be fun to play at battlements, even if he isn't as strong as OG 2fort.

You could do much better than that.

HQDefault

...what
aa
Aug 6, 2014
I think the building you used to block mid is inelegant at best and just flat out bad at worst. It's a weird tall narrow structure that'd be spam hell to fight in, and COMPLETELY blocks all Sniper play from the battlements. I agree that 2fort had a Sniper problem, but removing the entire area for them to play on and have fun at is just a poor decision. Sniper should still be fun to play at battlements, even if he isn't as strong as OG 2fort.

You could do much better than that.
I admit I was feeling a bit iffy about it myself when I first did it, but at the time I decided to leave it and see how it plays. Though looking back on it, "Big building" was probably a bit of a knee-jerk reaction to people complaining about sightlines, so I think I'll pull it from playtesting until I can come up with a better solution.

Last edited:

HQDefault

...what
aa
Aug 6, 2014
-Changed mid to be a 90 degree turn, adding a building and some sightline blockers to go with that
==Reasoning: The old solution of "put a building in the middle" was a dumb knee-jerk reaction to the bad sightlines. This is simply a much better and more interesting solution than "big building".

-Mirrored blu base
==Reasoning: It was necessary to get the 90 degree turn to work.

-Changed name to Fortress Fever
==Reasoning: As much as I found an acronym for "Another fucking 2fort remake" humorous, it is very likely that this project might wind up not looking anything like 2fort, especially after the new mid. So I wanted a name that works on its own, but still calls back to 2fort.

HQDefault

...what
aa
Aug 6, 2014

EDIT: I want to clarify that I've already changed my mind about half the stuff I said in this video.

Last edited:

HQDefault

...what
aa
Aug 6, 2014
-Cut down mid area's length by 256 Hu on each end.
==Reasoning: Long walk times to each person's base made encounters less frequent and made the map more lame.

-Cut spawn wave times in half.
==Reasoning: Nobody likes waiting.

-Changed mid area to include a bridge with supports.
==Reasoning: It both makes the area substantially more unique, and also cuts down on most of the empty, open space that was in mid.

-Redid the corner building at mid to be a sort of clifftop area.
==Reasoning: The old building that was there was boring and pointless. This is much more unique and has more potential to be actually fun.

-Added a bunch of cover to mid.
==Reasoning: Sightlines needed to be considerably toned down.

-Moved spawn area to the opposite side of the base, and gave it a dedicated (albeit small) courtyard.
==Reasoning: Attackers no longer have to walk by the defender's spawn to cap the intel.

-Old spawn is now a dropdown.
==Reasoning: I dunno really, figured I'd put it in and see how it plays before I just trash it.

-Changed intel area to have attacker balconies on the sides, similar to ctf_well.
==Reasoning: Hopefully combat sentries.

-Redid sniper balconies (2/3rds of the sniper balconies are covered by glass now)
==Reasoning: Lower how much snipers can aim down mid, and maybe, possibly push them to snipe somewhere else.

-Changed some health and ammo in the base.
==Reasoning: Necessary due to layout changes.

-Made fence texture smaller.
==Reasoning: It looked too much like you could shoot through it.

-Added signage.
==Reasoning: Directions are helpful for navigation, especially on a 90 degree map.

EDIT because I forgot some stuff:

-Replaced sewer's shutter door with a sightline blocker that also has a 1-way window.
==Reasoning: Shutter doors tend to lead to unpredictable gameplay.

-Sewer stairwell is much less open now.
==Reasoning: Having the sewers be an open area kind of defeats the purpose of sewers to begin with.

-Put nobuild on the small roof in the intel room.
==Reasoning: Spies couldn't sap sentries placed there.

Last edited:

Bunker Junker

L3: Member
Jul 28, 2017
I read the title as "Fortress Forever" and thought, "Is OP making a map based on a map in Fortress Forever?".

That weird thought aside, the map looks interesting when looking at the screenshots, will download for future play testing.

WhoWee!

L?: Creator of Ideas, Not Projects
Jan 12, 2018
Thank you for not just swapping the game mode and calling it done. Im glad to see that you took the time to remake it...

HQDefault

...what
aa
Aug 6, 2014
Thank you for not just swapping the game mode and calling it done. Im glad to see that you took the time to remake it...
How topical

But seriously, I'd prefer that this map not be compared to any of the modeswaps, because at this stage it's strayed so far from 2fort that it's more of a map that took inspiration from 2fort than a 2fort remake. (On that note, I'm going to change the tagline now...)
So trying to make that comparison really isn't fair to either party.