Evidence of Valve using LODs again!

Rozzy

L1: Registered
Dec 24, 2010
The triangle count for the medieval locker is wrong. It's actually around 15500 and not 31000+. Model viewer doubles the count on models that use phong shading. The locker it self is only 2500-3000 with the weapons/hats lazily dumped inside making up the majority.

lana

Currently On: ?????
aa
Sep 28, 2009
That was cleared up before, but the poly count is still insane.

Rexy

The Kwisatz Haderach
aa
Dec 22, 2008
The triangle count for the medieval locker is wrong. It's actually around 15500 and not 31000+. Model viewer doubles the count on models that use phong shading. The locker it self is only 2500-3000 with the weapons/hats lazily dumped inside making up the majority.

Hey, that's nice to know!

Does that mean these items are just displaying a doubled poly count in the HLMV, or does the engine render this many polygons as well?

Uh, scratch that, I found it. :( http://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Model_Viewer

Last edited:
Jun 19, 2009

Rexy

The Kwisatz Haderach
aa
Dec 22, 2008
Nope, scroll to the bottom of that article.

When viewing models using materials that use the phong shader the triangle count will double what it actually is due to a calculation bug. This is most common with TF2 models due to the heavy use of phong shading.

I just wish information like this was more commonly known. Or that they'd fix dumb bugs like this instead of letting them go.

EDIT: You guys were right!

Last edited:

Rexy

The Kwisatz Haderach
aa
Dec 22, 2008
Yes, yes that makes sense now, even when the medieval resupply cabinet doesn't have "$cloakPassEnabled" "1" in its vmt, it's still passing off by using the vmts of the other weapons, which would have "$cloakPassEnabled" "1". That's very clear now. Thanks, Ravidge, time to fix that false info in the wiki article. Checking some other phong models, I can verify this info too.

Last edited:

Rozzy

L1: Registered
Dec 24, 2010
My mistake, I thought it was phong that was responsible so thanks for clearing that up.