Evaluate My New PC?

Exist

L6: Sharp Member
Oct 31, 2009
Im dumbfounded by this. Back in 2001 I paid 1200$ for a bigbox PC from HP. the machine was good for the 4 years it ran an back then there was no demand for 3D or any videoediting.

Then 2005 hit.

PC got hit by a crap ton of viruses (get this, did you know some companies build their computers to fail after some years?). So, me not knowing this, bought a 2005 model from HP (which by the way still works and can run CSS on full specs, and tf2 on lower.) I bought that computer for 1500$ dollars. Back then this rig was high tech. 512mb ram, 250gb HD, and ati cards. If I looked up the prices for then, the 250gb harddrive, it would be around 200$. You are paying 100$ for a 800GB HD. Insane.

Computers have changes so much in 6 years... I think since then Microsoft has released 5 more DX versions. Also, I want this computer. Mind buying two with your stamp money? :p

What Is Schwa

L6: Sharp Member
Jan 13, 2008
Why the shit do cases have to be so ugly?

I want a black box that hides under my desk and is quiet and has good air flow. Not a fucking light show.

Seriously, is there such a thing? (Oh it'd be nice if it was kinda cheap too)

WastedMeerkat

L3: Member
Aug 15, 2009
D: Yeah I found that out...sorry folks.

Try this one: http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx?WishListNumber=18656947

Please note that I already have new GPU that I'll be using, that's why there isn't one in the list.

The only thing I would be concerned about is filling up that hard drive, if you're like me and you never delete things (in which case I would spring the extra $20 for a whole TB, 6.0GB/s SATA III interface, as well as a 64MB cache as opposed to the 640GB, 3.0GB/s SATA II interface, and 32MB cache on the one you have selected currently (this is the hard drive on my personal wishlist, btw)), but if you're pretty good about that then I wouldn't worry about it. Also, if you decide to go the SSD route after all, the OCZ RevoDrive is pretty much better than everything else out there right now. Check it out:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227596
Even by SSD standards, this is insane. Your motherboard will have 1 free PCI express X4 slot after your GPU and your wireless adapter are plugged in, and it also seems to be compatible after you flash a modded bios I found here: http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=265903 (seems pretty stable from the comments, but I would still say to use it at your own risk)

EDIT: Oh, I just noticed that you may not have any SATA cables in that list. Are there any coming with your motherboard or anything? If not, you might want to buy some of those separately. (1 SATA III cable for your HDD, 1 SATA II for your DVD drive)

Last edited:

Rexy

The Kwisatz Haderach
aa
Dec 22, 2008
The mobo comes with at least one sata cable, although it doesn't specify if it's stata II or III, and I do have some older ones here for the DVD drive, worse case, I could run to microcenter and get some for cheap. And a few people have brought out that 640 gb is so small that I'd fill it up--I was running previously on a 500 gb drive and I never filled more than 250 gb of it, and I have a 1 tb external that I use as a media dock, and I don't even have 25% of it filled up either. Maybe I'm just good at deleting things?

Last edited:

WastedMeerkat

Aug 15, 2009
Heh, I guess so. Well, either way, the hard drive you've got now is SATA II with a 32mb cache. Idk if it matters to you that much, but these are some SATA III HDDs within the same price range. The top three have a 32mb cache, while the bottom three have a 64mb cache. (As you can see the top two are the same exact price as the one you're getting with extra capacity to boot, but it seems that the caviar blue series has about a 1 in 3 chance of failure. Best to go with a caviar black unless you feel like taking the risk.)

Rexy

The Kwisatz Haderach
aa
Dec 22, 2008
Cool beans! Yeah I replaced the SATA II with a 32mb cache 500 gb SATA III. It was 2 dollars more. And Ordered. Hooray! If I eventually end up getting an SSD, I don't really see the point now in splurging on the SATA stuff, I just want one that does the job. Thanks again everyone, you've helped this poor hardware schlum out. I'll post some pics when it gets here.

WastedMeerkat

Aug 15, 2009
Awesome!

EDIT: Crap, I have some bad news. Did you already order? Because I just saw that the mobo you listed in your first post is incompatible with the CPU you picked. The mobo is a LGA 1366 socket, while your CPU is a LGA 1155 socket. If that's not the mobo you went with, could you link it here?

Last edited: