DREADFORT Payload-Race - Final Compile Exceeded Brush-Limit [ !! Solved !! ]

Cyberen

L3: Member
Mar 30, 2021
Do you mind just packing all the materials in a .blend file and sharing it? Your VMF only had a box, a spawn, and a missing model ERROR.

The Prof. Z

L1: Registered
Jan 7, 2024
Dang, ok
Cant upload .blend though, and cant see what zipper format is accepted :/

Basically I can import entire .vmf map, all brushes, or singular building groupings from copy-paste new hammer session, and merge brushes, then export .smd and add a .qc and compile in crowbar, but collisions wont be hollow..

According to Crowbar Compile:

WARNING: Model has 2-dimensional geometry (less than 0.500 inches thick on any axis)!!!
WARNING: Error with convex elements of Redoubt_Collision.smd, building single convex!!!!

The Prof. Z

Jan 7, 2024

Cyberen

Mar 30, 2021
Can I get a little context about these files, like what they are for in the context of the level and what you need from each of them?

The Prof. Z

Jan 7, 2024
Can I get a little context about these files, like what they are for in the context of the level and what you need from each of them?
The Redoubt is a little passage-way extension with windowed small-room and outside-door
Just in different formats there, Func_Detail, World-Brushes, or Merged

Dreadfort is the entire map merged, but without collision mesh copy-pasted

Cyberen

Mar 30, 2021
Are players expected to go inside each of those vertical egg-shaped areas and the flatter areas, or are they basically background decoration?

The Prof. Z

Jan 7, 2024
Are players expected to go inside each of those vertical egg-shaped areas and the flatter areas, or are they basically background decoration?
No Groupings are meant to be solid props, the brush limit has been exceeded and hollow world-geometry needs a different format, like .mdl
I attempted to remove $concave according to one link, but will investigate all relevant links connected to Crowbars Compile:
[WARNING: Model has 2-dimensional geometry (less than 0.500 inches thick on any axis)!!!]

The Main Towers "Bastions" are the primary building for players to engage inside, consisting of a drop-chute to tunnels, a ground-floor with "passageway" Redoubt plugin extensions, a primary entrance, and 2 ramps to floor 1.

Floor 1 consists of an interior perimeter ledge, 2 primary entrances from raised-wall battlement ledge, and a ramp to floor 2.

Floor 2 & floor 3 consists of "floating" exterior ledges and doorways, and interior perimeter ledge.

Centre-Bastion is unique in having a Floor 4 for 3-point KOTH Capture-Point
Quad-Bastion x2 does not have floor 3, to reduce monotony.
Artillery Basement "Bastion" x2 does not have floor 2, but does have drop-chute to surface

Centre-Bastion Redoubts have 2 exterior-entrances mirrored on each side, since its "neutral" location

Last edited:

Cyberen

Mar 30, 2021
Whenever I get that warning, it's because of one of the following:
1. One of the collision objects isn't fully convex (use the Convex Hull option under Mesh in Edit Mode)
2. One of the collision objects isn't fully shaded smooth
3. It is actually really thin on one axis

I suggest moving half the collision objects to another group at a time until you can narrow it down to the problem object.

I'd see how much of this you could make out of basic brushes and then convert the complex tall part into one object you can repeat. If you separate the two it'll be easier to see what to make an object. I don't know how to dissect this right now.

The Prof. Z

Jan 7, 2024
Whenever I get that warning, it's because of one of the following:
1. One of the collision objects isn't fully convex (use the Convex Hull option under Mesh in Edit Mode)
2. One of the collision objects isn't fully shaded smooth
3. It is actually really thin on one axis

I suggest moving half the collision objects to another group at a time until you can narrow it down to the problem object.

I'd see how much of this you could make out of basic brushes and then convert the complex tall part into one object you can repeat. If you separate the two it'll be easier to see what to make an object. I don't know how to dissect this right now.
Ok could you elaborate on the 1st command "(use the Convex Hull option under Mesh in Edit Mode)" ?
I have no previous experience with Blender, just Hammer user.

I think the compiler identified numerous offending brushes when compiling unmerged Func_Detail brushes, which imploded after compilation.
But unmerged world-brushes did not return same compiler error, although also imploded, was also not an accurate collision mesh..

I suspect that combining the merged Prop with unmerged individual World-Brushes (copy-pasted) as the Collision Mesh is the correct way to compile.
But i dont think that configuration on its own is going to be enough to produce a hollow collision mesh.

The Prof. Z

Jan 7, 2024
world-brushes returned warning 2 but not warning 1

[ WARNING: Model has 2-dimensional geometry (less than 0.500 inches thick on any axis)!!!
WARNING: Error with convex elements of .smd, building single convex!!!!]

Cyberen

Mar 30, 2021
Make sure each object
1. Is highlighted in edit mode and has convex hull selected
2. Is shaded smooth
3. All has the same origin or it's going to float all over the place willy-nilly

You'll have a lot easier time if you do some tutorials on Blender first.

Attachments

• origins.png
    origins.png
    337.2 KB · Views: 16

The Prof. Z

Jan 7, 2024
Make sure each object
1. Is highlighted in edit mode and has convex hull selected
2. Is shaded smooth
3. All has the same origin or it's going to float all over the place willy-nilly

You'll have a lot easier time if you do some tutorials on Blender first.
hmm, no success, and its also still tiny.

I intend on using Hammer to craft more models, i just need some way to .mdl them, and propper does work, but something is wrong with a brush and i cant let it happen again.
Blender is a much more complicated program though, from which i only need one simple function
And yourself, have been unable to compile it, and also not sure what is solution

Im gonna have a look at some more 3rd party apps like wallworm or crafty, and try troubleshoot the compiler error, since im 99% sure theres no 2D Geometry unless caused by overlapping brushes, which i dont think is how it works.

In meantime, ive tidied up the .vmf since some brushes were red but not entities, and it runs compiler now but not the original full details

Code:
** Executing...
** Command: "D:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Team Fortress 2\bin\vbsp.exe"
** Parameters: -game "D:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Team Fortress 2\tf" "D:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Team Fortress 2\sourcesdk_content\tf\mapsrc\Dreadfort.vmf"

Valve Software - vbsp.exe (Jan  4 2023)
8 threads
materialPath: D:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Team Fortress 2\tf\materials
Loading D:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Team Fortress 2\sourcesdk_content\tf\mapsrc\Dreadfort.vmf
ConVarRef mat_reduceparticles doesn't point to an existing ConVar
Brush 735493: MAX_MAP_BRUSHSIDES
Side 4
Texture: METAL/METALWALL085A

** Executing...
** Command: "D:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Team Fortress 2\bin\vvis.exe"
** Parameters: -game "D:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Team Fortress 2\tf" "D:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Team Fortress 2\sourcesdk_content\tf\mapsrc\Dreadfort"

Valve Software - vvis.exe (Jan  4 2023)
8 threads
reading d:\steamlibrary\steamapps\common\team fortress 2\sourcesdk_content\tf\mapsrc\Dreadfort.bsp
reading d:\steamlibrary\steamapps\common\team fortress 2\sourcesdk_content\tf\mapsrc\Dreadfort.prt
LoadPortals: couldn't read d:\steamlibrary\steamapps\common\team fortress 2\sourcesdk_content\tf\mapsrc\Dreadfort.prt

** Executing...
** Command: "D:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Team Fortress 2\bin\vrad.exe"
** Parameters:  -game "D:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Team Fortress 2\tf" "D:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Team Fortress 2\sourcesdk_content\tf\mapsrc\Dreadfort"

Valve Software - vrad.exe SSE (Jan  4 2023)

Valve Radiosity Simulator    
8 threads
[Reading texlights from 'lights.rad']
unknown light specifier type - lights

[56 texlights parsed from 'lights.rad']

Loading d:\steamlibrary\steamapps\common\team fortress 2\sourcesdk_content\tf\mapsrc\Dreadfort.bsp
No vis information, direct lighting only.
Setting up ray-trace acceleration structure... Done (0.69 seconds)
35709 faces
numplanes + fakeplanes >= MAX_MAP_PLANES

** Executing...
** Command: Copy File
** Parameters: "D:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Team Fortress 2\sourcesdk_content\tf\mapsrc\Dreadfort.bsp" "D:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Team Fortress 2\tf\maps\Dreadfort.bsp"

** Executing...
** Command: "D:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Team Fortress 2\hl2.exe"
** Parameters: -game "D:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Team Fortress 2\tf"  +map "Dreadfort" -steam
[Code]

Attachments

• Dreadfort.vmf
    11.8 MB · Views: 12
Last edited:

The Prof. Z

Jan 7, 2024
!! Solved: Model Brush-Limit = 40

Due to Decal-Grouping, similar Textures should be grouped, not compound objects per se

Additionally, Raw Brush-Models can be edited with Hide-All and Auto-Update across .vmf's, so preserve the Former Entity in a separate .vmf

Also, Models cannot be Flip Rotated, only the Brushes can, so if needed, 2 Models must be generated as A & B, although only 1 Brush-Group needs retaining
Flakturm Vent .jpg
Flakturm Propper Hammer Tf2.jpg