Do we need the Steam group anymore?

• Yes

Votes: 21 95.5%
  • No

Votes: 1 4.5%

• Total voters
K

Krylzay

If the Steam Group isn't working out just stop putting so much time into it. I think its worth keeping up for the chat room, not the events. No reason getting rid of it just stop putting as much time into it.

I vote yes.

ryodoan

Resident Bum
Nov 2, 2007
The steam group should definitely stay for several reasons:
  • Easier for new Steam users to find us.
  • Great resource for people who need help in real time.
  • IRC requires you to download an install a separate application, Find the IP address for the server, and then find the channel, while if they have TF2 they have steam ergo, they have the steam chatroom making it very easy to access.
  • You can chat in game with Steam Chat.
  • Yes logging is infinitely easier with IRC (we are talking INFINITELY easier) but I think we are managing alright with my online logs.
  • Time for a shameless plug http://caffeinesystems.ath.cx/TF2Mappers
  • We should keep the group not just because it helps people find us and gives us a chat room but because it makes organizing events a lot easier.
  • If you think the last event was a flop then I am seriously confused because we had at least 15 people in the chat room all on one server and more people joined from the public thereby giving us more exposure.
  • If you think the last event was a flop, where were you? If you had joined the chat you would have quickly been told the servers IP address, or you could have just clicked on our names and said "View Server Info" to see we were all in the same server.

That all being said I am very, very well aware of the features that the Steam chat and Steam Community in general are lacking, my biggest complaints are:
  • Lack of a "Log Chats" option (seems like a *duh* option to me)
  • Lack of the ability to kick people from public groups so that only active members are present.
  • Lack of some of the more useful IRC commands
  • And this is just a pipe dream, but lack of an API to interface with the Steam Community, ex. allow someone to write a IRC integration for the steam community which would allow you to perform steam actions through IRC and have IRC be launched by the "Join Chatroom" on the Community homepage and / Or sync the Steam chatroom with an IRC chatroom.

Last edited:

Vilepickle

Banned
Oct 25, 2007
Eh I just think an IRC channel would be more "official" that people could actually idle in regularly (not open another damn window out of the way every time you boot up)

#tf2maps on irc.gamesurge.net - start it nao!

ryodoan

Resident Bum
Nov 2, 2007
But the thing is I don't want to create a split in the already small group of chatters.

We only have 4-10 people who use the chat at any one time, and if we start to split it between two different apps, IRC / Steam then it will be practically useless because we will need to have both apps open if we want to chat with everyone.

Pick one and use, and I say the steam chat room because that is how 99% of the people who are in the steam group or just need mapping help will find us.