Do we need the Steam group anymore?

Discussion in 'Site Discussion' started by Armadillo of Doom, Dec 15, 2007.

?

Do we need the Steam group anymore?

1. Yes

21 vote(s)
    95.5%
  2. No

1 vote(s)
    4.5%
  1. Armadillo of Doom

aa Armadillo of Doom Group Founder, Lover of Pie

Positive Ratings:
    Be honest with me. As membership here grows and the group stagnates, I question if the effort to maintain it is really neccessary. For almost the past month, everyone who was Player Of The Week didn't even know it. And close to 3/4 of the members haven't been heard from since the day they joined. I'm sure we could get a quasi chat room going here on the forums if needed. It just seems to me that we have evolved from being TF2Mappers group to the tf2maps.net community. This is fine by me, as it means less work on my end lol. But I really need to know what you guys think. I'm not adding any 'what if' answers. Straight up yes or no, and please tell me why.

2. drp

aa drp

Positive Ratings:
    IMO, i think having both a steam chat and messageboard is beneficial. having a way for users to get help on the fly vs posting and waiting is monumental. but i do see your point!

im with ya either way bud. :biggthumpup:

3. spaceweasels

aa spaceweasels

Positive Ratings:
    I know I don't check it as often as I should, but I like having it around. Especially when the MB is down.

4. Armadillo of Doom

Positive Ratings:
    Well barring any unforseen problems, the forums are fully upgraded and stylized. So the only reason they might go down is if drpepper blows up his computer :p

5. gnat

gnat Guest

Positive Ratings:
    i think it would be really silly to rid yourself of the steam group. i'm curious what efforts are needed to maintain it? are there any costs involved? the real time chat is vastly superior for on the fly conversations and organizing things like playtesting.

i havent been on the chatroom much the last couple weeks but then again i've barely opened hammer either. if i'm actually mapping i'm far more likely to check a chatroom, be it IRC or steam for people's immediate opinions or advice.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2007
  6. Nizzem

Nizzem L2: Junior Member

Positive Ratings:
    I think we need to try and get more people involved in the chat room. It is really an invaluable resource and I would hate to loose it.

7. Intraman

Intraman L4: Comfortable Member

Positive Ratings:
    I really think it's necessary and helpful. In fact this morning there was someone in the chat that happened fine the steam group. She was a great mapper to (from what screens I saw.) I doubt that is a rare occurance at all.
    The steam group is really useful being able to play with people from the boards, helping play test, getting quick help, and such too. It's really a vital resource.

8. MacNetron

MacNetron L5: Dapper Member

Positive Ratings:
    I found this site through Steam community.

9. A Boojum Snark

aa A Boojum Snark Toraipoddodezain Mazahabado

Positive Ratings:
    As people have said, the chat is great. It will bring in more people, too, what with it showing on all our personal pages.

10. S.E.A.L.#555

S.E.A.L.#555 L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    Yeah, chat must stay!

11. Shmitz

aa Shmitz Old Hat

Positive Ratings:
    While the group itself is something I consider very beneficial, I do have to admit I would be in favor of moving the chat to IRC instead of Steam. Steam has a bit of a way to go before it's really suited for full-time chatting.

12. Intraman

Positive Ratings:
    but then people couldn't quickly join servers for play testing and such.

13. Dox

Dox L8: Fancy Shmancy Member

Positive Ratings:
    Ive had difficulties in the past with IRC... Please keep chat the way it is. Nothing makes me happier than joining the chat room and starting a random conversation about ramen ignoring the current conversation lines going on.

14. Buster Charlie

Buster Charlie Guest

Positive Ratings:
    I use the chat all the time
    You can get messages IN GAME with it, while you are testing maps

15. Ziggurat

Ziggurat L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    I feel that steam community chat is vastly inferior to irc for the following reasons:

1) I already use irc. This makes it easy to just add a new channel to what I'm already in.

2) Steam is a resource hog. Steam for me uses 15 megs of ram and 115 VM just being idle. Mirc uses 7 and 8, respectively. So, if I'm not doing level design or actually in game, I don't even have steam running.

3) irc has effortless logging

16. Intraman

Positive Ratings:
    Again though, the chat is of most use to people that are mapping and have steam open.

17. Godling

Godling L2: Junior Member

Positive Ratings:
    I can't even begin to imagine why this question is being posed. Well... sure I can. What happened? Last scheduled activity didn't pan out, so you want to ditch the steam group?

This group should never leave steam. It's a way for new users to find us and it's a way for people using steam friends to see who is around. I personally really like the convenience of the steam group chat, which would obviously disappear if the group disbanded. I also don't really see a pseudo chat here via the web site doing any better than the steam chat would (or irc for that matter). Sure, a web based chat or irc provides many more chat options... I just don't see that as being a draw. Steam has convenience on its side... and if you're worried about the steam program footprint in memory... ram is cheap... upgrade... it will also benefit your mapping.

... and of coarse... already mentioned by some... the ability to join games in progress and to be able to message while in game.

Suggestion: remove group members that have been inactive for over 60 days. They can always rejoin if they want to.

18. Armadillo of Doom

Positive Ratings:
    I appreciate all of your thoughts guys, I really do. I honestly wasn't sure how useful the Steam chatroom is, since you can look up almost anything here or on the Valve wiki. I realize IRC or Xfire make better chat programs. If the day ever comes when our chatroom actually gets crowded, I'll look into an alternative. But for now, long as you guys think we need it, it will remain open :)

19. HoundDawg

HoundDawg L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    The steam group is a definite yes. I really didn't know about this until I was searching the steam groups. Then, just yesterday as I was trying to release the final version of cp_meleebarn, I ran into a few roadblocks which the steam chat allowed me to work through them and get it released.

IRC is going to be superior to Steam Chat and I'm not sure if Valve is trying to become IRC either. They're just wanting to provide a simple chat system that will benefit gamers while playing too, without being too intrusive. I think they've come a long ways from the original beta Steam I tested years ago.

I don't see much problem having both an IRC channel and the Steam group, as long as there are people willing to idle in them and assist mappers. Personally, I prefer Steam over IRC, since I no longer idle in IRC anymore and Steam is already active.

Oh, and the problem I had with XFire (when it first released... never gave it a second chance) is that programs like that... from 3rd party companies that hook windows like they did... I just don't trust them anymore. I know they possibly had good intentions.. but I really didn't like how it was all handled back then and haven't felt good about giving them a second chance either. Not that I haven't had the need for XFire at all anyway when other more trustworthy options exist.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2007
  20. Vilepickle

Vilepickle L7: Fancy Member

Positive Ratings:
    I'd prefer if it was an IRC room on Gamesurge, as anyone on IRC has no idea about there being a Steam group for mapping.

Plus, the fucking window doesn't flash at me every time someone types something.