Dedicated server

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by Paddy, Dec 31, 2007.

1. Paddy

Paddy L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    Hi guys!

i was trying to use the dedicated server from the tools section of steam to test my very first map, just to see wot it would be like with other people, but i dont now how to get my map onto it! can anyone help?

Thanks

Paddy

2. Crimson

Crimson L3: Member

Positive Ratings:
    To get your map into it, place the .bsp file here...
    \Steam\steamapps\youremail@email.com\source 2007 dedicated server\tf\maps

For other players to be able to join, you will need to make sure that port is not blocked by your router. When I run it, it is port 27016 so I had to open that port in my router settings.

3. Paddy

Positive Ratings:
    ok thanks but i am now struggling to find the router settings!

4. MacNetron

MacNetron L5: Dapper Member

Positive Ratings:
    well, to connect to your router, type its ip in a brower. The ip should be like: 192.168.1.1 (as it is in my case (Linksys)).
    Then add the port (27016) to the section Port Forwarding and add the ip of the dedicated server (so the router knows where to send all traffic on that specific port).

EDIT: you do have a router?

5. Paddy

Positive Ratings:
    well ive got a BT Home Hub

6. ryodoan

ryodoan Resident Bum

Positive Ratings:
    Ok, I didnt know what the heck a BT home Hub was so I did a quick google search and this page popped up: http://www.frequencycast.co.uk/homehub.html

You are going to need to do a couple things to let people connect to your computer if you want to use it as a dedicated server.

1. Find out your external IP address.
      • (this varies widely, but is NOT 192.168.~~ go here: http://whatismyip.com/ )
      • You need this to tell other people what to connect to.
    2. Find out the port the TF2 server wants to use (sounds like 27016, but I think you can change it). You need this to configure your router.
    3. Find out your host computers local IP address
      • (probably something like 192.168.1.5). You probably need this to configure your router.
      • You can find it by going to Start->Run->cmd then typing "ipconfig" (no quotes) into the command line. It should pop up with your local ipaddress and some other gibberish.

Once you have those 3 things in hand, scroll down on http://www.frequencycast.co.uk/homehub.html until you reach "Home Hub Configuration".

From there I quote:
    You are interested in two major things out of that quote. Both of which I have highlighted, underlined, bolded, and made italic. You want to open the correct port (probably 27016) and assign it to your computer (probably something starting like 192.168.*.*)

Then, once all that is configured, go to steam and try to connect to your ip address (you might need to put the port after your IP address, I cant remember the correct syntax off the top of my head though)

Last edited: Dec 31, 2007
  7. Intraman

Intraman L4: Comfortable Member

Positive Ratings:
    I have question.
    How do you add custom maps to the available maps? All I can choose are the Valve maps.

8. Crimson

Positive Ratings:
    Once the server is up and running just go to the console and put in changelevel intramansmap.bsp

9. drp

aa drp

Positive Ratings:
    move the compiled bsp file in to your maps folder. but hammer should do that automatically.

10. Crimson

Positive Ratings:
    I don't think it will load it from the maps folder that hammer places it into automatically. I am almost positive you actually have to move it to the maps folder in the source 2007 dedicated server\tf\maps directory as well. The dedicated server executable does not look into the players map folder for maps, but into its own map folder.

11. Paddy

Positive Ratings:
    yeh you do have to move it and thanks for all the info ryodoan!

12. Intraman

Positive Ratings:
    OK, I got that working but now when I try to configure my router nothing seems to happen. I go to Start>Run ipconfig and a window pops up and then disappears. Would I have to do it from my houses "main" computer?

13. ryodoan

ryodoan Resident Bum

Positive Ratings:
    Well, first off its Start->Run cmd

then type into the black dos window, "ipconfig"

This will give you your local IP address. If you have a router you will have a local and an exterior IP address.

To give more specific instructions for you Intraman I will need that local IP address and what type of router you have, if you have a router.

14. Intraman

Positive Ratings:
    My router is a Linksys BEFSR41 and my local IP is 192.168.10.100

15. Crimson

Positive Ratings:
    go to 192.168.1.1 in your web browser. If you have not changed the settings, I think its either root/root or admin/admin or one of those without a password. You can just do a quick search for stock linksys login.

Anyways, once on your router page, go to Applications & Gaming, put a start and end IP address (mine for running a server is 27005 and 27016, protocol both, 192.168.1.100 which is my local IP, change it to whatever yours is, and check enable and you should be good to go.

16. Intraman

Positive Ratings:
    umm.. Now I'm just really really confused. When I put "192.168.1.1" into my browser it just gives me the standard "Page cannot be displayed" error. And when I do a search for "stock linksys" in google I get pages about hacking routers and stuff.

OK. After the help from Buster on the chat, I think I got it working. I just gotta see if anyone can join.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2008
  17. Intraman

Positive Ratings:
    gah.. I can't seem to get this damned thing to work at all.

18. ryodoan

ryodoan Resident Bum

Positive Ratings:
    I saw you asking about getting "One of those cool ip address forwarding" websites, I have one set up for the chat logger, http://caffeinesystems.ath.cx is my home IP address, you can go to http://dyndns.com and make an account, then you probably want to look into setting up a dynamic DNS address, but I dont remember the exact steps and I think they made it a little more confusing now... heh