Decompiling Maps

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by NoirSuede, Jan 5, 2013.

1. NoirSuede

NoirSuede L2: Junior Member

Positive Ratings:
    Guys, how do i decompile valve maps ? If you don't know, can you at least tell me how long is the entire bomb hatch area (the same floor with the bomb hatch) in Coaltown is ?

2. Bloodhound

Bloodhound L6: Sharp Member

Positive Ratings:
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. The Asylum

aa The Asylum

Positive Ratings:
    There's already an example mvm map in the sdk right? I'd imagine that'd be a much easier way to learn how to learn by example instead of wading through a completed map

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. NoirSuede

Positive Ratings:
    No, i just want to see how big is the "pit" area is, so that i can use the measurements for my map.

5. NoirSuede

Positive Ratings:
    Guys, i have 2 more questions :

1.How do you get a sense of how big an area is in tf2 while corresponding with the area‘s size in hammer ?
    2.In Alpha, is it fine to not use thing like 3d backgrounds and skyboxes ? you know, to save time.

6. GPuzzle

GPuzzle L9: Fashionable Member

Positive Ratings:
    3D backgrounds (or 3D skyboxes) are focused to do on Betas. Skyboxes (the actual sky), however should be made as quickly as possible. They allow you to use light_env (light entity that casts the light from the skyboxes and quickly light up the outside areas of your map.

7. Seba

aa Seba DR. BIG FUCKER, PHD

Positive Ratings:
    Placing prop_statics with the world model set to heavy.mdl is a good way to test scale. Plus, because the model is compiled to be used with a prop_dynamic (well, not really - it'll only work under prop_dynamic, anyway) the Heavies won't show up in the compiled map, so you don't have to remove them before compile.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  8. Fish 2.0

Fish 2.0 L6: Sharp Member

Positive Ratings:
    Also testing and counting seconds from one place to another works for me. If there is a bridge that takes 4 seconds to cross, it might feel like too long to me and I'll try to make it shorter.

• Thanks Thanks x 1