Decker

Decker rc1

Vig

L2: Junior Member
Feb 14, 2009
Heh, yep we did run into each other, you shot me so hard it knocked me off the server!

Awesome feedback, thanks! I knew about the pallet of fish, I accidentally left it in when I compiled the last time. But didn't know about the other stuff, great finds thanks!

Vig

Feb 14, 2009
First Release Candidate!
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2336353/ctf_decker_rc1.zip

If all goes well and no one finds any bugs, lameness or has any awesome suggestions then this will be the final version of the map.

Install instructions:
Download and unzip the file to your "\tf\maps\" folder.
Normally found in: \Program Files\Steam\steamapps\YourSteamName\team fortress 2\tf\maps

List of changes:
Added sounds.
Added a lot of new props.
Finished detailing both bases.
Optimized everything.
Countless collision meshes created...

ctf_decker_b240041.jpg

ctf_decker_b240010.jpg

ctf_decker_b240012.jpg

ctf_decker_b240015.jpg

ctf_decker_b240028.jpg

ctf_decker_b240001.jpg

ctf_decker_b240057.jpg

ctf_decker_b240051.jpg

Vig

Feb 14, 2009
Yep, I've been working on a props pack just for mapping.

Each prop will have:
The compiled models and materials. Drop the folders and start placing props in hammer.

The source files for all meshes and materials, such as Photoshop PSD material files, OBJ mesh files including collision and alternate versions such as sky and world props.

The source files will come in handy for anyone wanting to fit some of the props specifically to their map. Some of the props are built specifically for my map but with a little editing to the source files they can be changed to fit just about any map.

I'm actually more excited to see what people will do with the props ha ha ha!
Props get used in some very interesting ways...
http://www.facepunch.com/showthread.php?t=751494

Vig

Feb 14, 2009
I'm about 60% through gathering up all the files and making sure their parts are labeled logically and everything works as it should. I plan to release them at the same time so probably a week or two, depending on any giant bugs popping up.

Pocket

Half a Lambert is better than one.
aa
Nov 14, 2009
How did I never see this map? I even had one of the betas on my old hard drive, but I guess I never played it (although way, way many of the textures are broken on that version so maybe that's why...) Anyway, aside from being absolutely in love with your custom models, here's what I noticed:

ctfdeckerrc10003.jpg

Lots of things going on in this one screenshot:
  • The water texture probably should be scaled up.
  • There's a visible seam between what I assume is the 3D skybox water and the regular water.
  • (Not pictured) The edge of the water is plainly visible. Your skybox already has a nice fade between the actual sky and the bottom half; try extending the water out even more and then adding a fog_controller that turns far-away items the color of the skybox's bottom half. Others may have better suggestions but that's what I can think of off the top of my head.
  • There's a random floating life ring in the middle of this.
  • Falling off the decks above or the bridge below does not make you fall into the water, but instead into some weird, complex playerclipping that has no logical connection to the physical objects that are there. I suggest reducing this to just the playerclip wall keeping them from jumping over the truck/airplanes (all the way across), letting them fall into the water, adding a ramp or pile of debris to get onto the lower bridge, and putting a row of buoys (as seen in the Swamp Pack) across where the playerclip wall is at water level.
  • Is that tiny tugboat meant to be in the skybox, or is it a toy? OH WAIT! I see what happened; that was supposed to be the real tugboat, and that's why the clipping is messed up and the life ring is just floating there, right? Then just fix that and everything should be fine.

ctfdeckerrc10004.jpg

A few things here:
  • The red version is missing its texture, at least in my copy.
  • Both versions are still the wrong size for the hallway (are the holes meant to be for the pipes and stuff to go through?)
  • Both versions are non-solid. Very weird.
  • The wall with the speaker box leaves a very narrow gap for players to get through, or would if the prop were solid. (Right-sizing the prop should fix that though.)

General stuff:
  • The interior of the ship is still too dark and too blue. Consider increasing the light levels on your lights, and tinting them a bit yellowish: yellow and blue are complementary colors, so this should balance out the blue reflected light, as well as add to the realism since incandescent lights IRL are yellowish.
  • None of your stairs seem to be playerclipped. It's customary to put a ramp of playerclipping on stairs to avoid the jittery movement.

Last edited:

Vig

Feb 14, 2009
woa... where you playing rc1? A lot of that looks like an older version, the hull of the ship in the skybox is strangely dark in the top shop which I think was b14?

Or maybe you extracted some props from the old map and they're sitting around in a folder superseding the models included in the bsp? There hasn't been a skybox version of the tug boat for the last couple of beta releases so there isn't one in the rc1 .bsp file.

The red conduit pipe in the second shot is missing its texture. It's had a blue and a red version for 2 beta releases. The white was a place holder texture from quite a while ago.

The lights in both bases have been pure white for the last two releases.

I'll be sure to ramp the stairs with a player clip good idea!

Pocket

Half a Lambert is better than one.
aa
Nov 14, 2009
Well, I don't know what went wrong. I have an older version of Decker in my maps folder, but I swear I never extracted anything from it. I deleted it, and the map looks fine now, although I don't know if it's from that or the fact that I also extracted all the props and materials into my /tf/ folder to play around with them. I ... don't particularly feel like removing them just to check this. But unless someone else has problems, I'll assume whatever went wrong is just on my machine (the beta version had tons of missing textures too).

So strike everything from my last post except the part about lighting, the metal frames needing to be solid, the scale of the water, and the horizon. Also, in the RED intel room, the light fixture on the wall is blue instead of orange.

Everything else looks amazing, by the way, especially the models. You and Acumen ought to team up and make a Marine Pack.

Last edited: