Deathmap Tutorial

DJive

Cake or Death?
aa
Dec 20, 2007
As someone who is just starting to learn to map, I feel the Heat Maps do not provide all the info needed. All it seems to show is the most chosen place to die. Like ctf_2fort, the main 2 doors are very hot, but I wouldn't say it's a choke point. Also there is no feeling of what killed people.

The point of a heat map is to see where most activity is taking place, not to see whos not balanced. Balance in a class can be on the player side most of the times,

As a mapper you need to know what areas are under and over used and add or take away alternate routes.

Besides, Tf2 was released Oct 10th.... we are just now getting heatmaps and such so for us long time mappers this is GREAT.

Ace

L3: Member
Feb 15, 2008
This is very nice.

Now all I need is a map...

VeryBad

L1: Registered
May 25, 2008
The point of a heat map is to see where most activity is taking place, not to see whos not balanced. Balance in a class can be on the player side most of the times,

As a mapper you need to know what areas are under and over used and add or take away alternate routes.

Besides, Tf2 was released Oct 10th.... we are just now getting heatmaps and such so for us long time mappers this is GREAT.

I am only arguing for more information. While I understand that heatmaps are a vast improvement to what tools Valve provided with the SDK (IE Nothing), how could you not want more detailed data when making decisions about how to revise your maps? You would still clearly have the overall picture, giving you the idea of what areas of a map see the most use. Yet with some additional data you can see where the ever-clever play has found ways to kill you may not have expected. From that data you can then decide if it’s acceptable or not, if you need to make a revision to stop it or not, or in the worst case if it is an exploit of some form. More detailed information will only assist not harm imo.

P.S. I know you've played maps where one class is favored despite any skill from the players. If there are insanely long sightlines and little cover snipers will be the bread and butter.

ryodoan

Resident Bum
Nov 2, 2007
With the utility I am creating (albeit slowly) you will be able to generate different heatmaps based on the killing weapon, killing team, dieing team, and more.

I am trying to keep the stored data as general as possible so that in the future additional restrictions can be added to the program such as the possibility of filtering by the distance between two killers.

This is one of the reasons why I want to make my own utility. I want to create something that is easy to use that can give fast results. Just download, run, pick your filters and then check the result.