Damnable 2

CTF Damnable 2 a5

T

The Asylum

There's a lot to address with this one.

First, fullbright. The eyes, they burn.

Second, there's the huge amount of missing textures and models. The entire bridge is purple checkers, and some of the trucks are just ERRORs.

Third, there's no real indication that the area past the buoys is lethal. I just assumed it was a playerclip wall but nope, surprise death.

While we're on the subject of the water, thats a huge open space that is just taking up otherwise useable real estate.

The layout seems haphazard and cramped, I cant imagine Snipers having a good time here.

A-Cogs

L1: Registered
Apr 9, 2020
There's a lot to address with this one.

First, fullbright. The eyes, they burn.

Second, there's the huge amount of missing textures and models. The entire bridge is purple checkers, and some of the trucks are just ERRORs.

Third, there's no real indication that the area past the buoys is lethal. I just assumed it was a playerclip wall but nope, surprise death.

While we're on the subject of the water, thats a huge open space that is just taking up otherwise useable real estate.

The layout seems haphazard and cramped, I cant imagine Snipers having a good time here.

I cannot express how grateful I am for your feedback this early in development. I probably wouldn't have had to remake ctf_damnable if I had been made aware of its flaws earlier.

1. I went into this thinking actual lighting would have to wait until I was confident in actually playtesting this thing. Though judging from your reaction that's not a common approach. Oh well, there's always A2.
2. Forgot that I had a bunch of those content packs installed and foolishly didn't use a full compile. Big mistake on my part, once I post this I'll have made a hotfix.
3. Duly noted, will make the threat of crocodile mauling more apparent
4. Frankly I'm not sure how to fix this one. Not a lot of Valve maps use this much water either, probably for the reason you provided, but what kind of dam doesn't have water? I gotta use some brain power for this one.
5. Funny you mention Sniper being a bad pick, because Damnable 1 had the opposite problem. I tried to separate the sightlines into quadrants to encourage close quarters combat and prevent the Wutville-tier sightlines Damnable 1 had, but that must have been a massive over-correction. As for the haphazardness, I'll try my best but no promises since I'm pretty new to this.

A-Cogs

Apr 9, 2020
A-Cogs updated Damnable 2 with a new update entry:

Attack of the Drowning Machine

Major Changes
  • Layout redesign
  • Added rudimentary lighting
  • Added a current that flows into the croc zone

Minor Changes
  • Made it easier to tell the area beyond the buoys is dangerous
  • All classes can now get on top of the tunnel entrance near the bridge
  • Ripped fog from the original ctf_damnable
  • Added indicators for flag location

Fixes
  • Fixed players getting stuck between the watch towers and a wall
  • Skybox has been optimized
  • Fixed...

Read the rest of this update entry...

A-Cogs

Apr 9, 2020

The Inside Job

Major Changes
  • Revamped the red and blu base layouts

Minor Changes
  • Made it easier for players to see the inescapable part of the current.
  • Made REALLY minor layout changes around the map
  • Players that get killed by the lathes now explode
  • Lit up some areas around the drowning machine

Fixes
  • Fixed a row of consoles clipping into each other
  • Clipped some windows
  • Players can no longer shoot through the water barrel clusters underneath the...

pk.pseudo

Certified Eldritch Horror
Jul 17, 2019
Played this on a TF2 Classic Custom Weapons Server, and I can safely say that this map is so unoptimized that it actually indirectly nerfed sniper by making ur game cap frames at around 30.

I understand big maps can be fun if theyre addressed correctly, but this map is very poorly optimized from the looks of it.

A-Cogs

Apr 9, 2020
Played this on a TF2 Classic Custom Weapons Server, and I can safely say that this map is so unoptimized that it actually indirectly nerfed sniper by making ur game cap frames at around 30.

I understand big maps can be fun if theyre addressed correctly, but this map is very poorly optimized from the looks of it.
Thanks for the heads up, haven't gotten any problems on my pc so I would never have known.

A-Cogs

Apr 9, 2020

On The Upside

Major Changes
  • Intel area reworked.
  • Changes to the upper dam

Minor Changes
  • Lit up the tunnels of the drowning machine.
  • Made it easier for players to enter the tunnels of the drowning machine.
  • Everything is now textured

Fixes
  • Fixed a roof not completely covering an area in the bases.
  • All hidden dev textures have been replaced with nodraw textures, hopefully increasing optimization.
  • Clipped a stairway on the upper dam.
Next...

A-Cogs

Apr 9, 2020

Actually, you can stop the rock

Major Changes
  • The giant rock in the middle of the map has been turned into a playable area.
  • Added a small new area to the inner dam.

Minor Changes
  • Redid some shoddy brushwork.
  • Minor changes to the inner dam.
  • Minor changes to the upper dam.
  • Added decorations to the inaccessible roofs of the bases to stop people from trying to get up there.
  • Flipped the arrow-lighting fires on the bridge to the opposite side of their respective trucks.

Fixes...