Custom Lang File Help

BackSun

L1: Registered
Apr 4, 2019
Hello all,

Bit of an odd question, but is there a way to import one language file into another?
For example if I changed what was said when someone became "it" (via the HHH) from "$s1 is IT!" to something like $s1 gon die" and nothing else; would there be some way I could import the rest of the tf_english.txt file so I wouldn't have to update it every time the TF team updates the localization files?

Thanks for any help.

Edited for clarification.

Last edited:

henke37

aa
Sep 23, 2011
Import into what?

BackSun

Apr 4, 2019
If I made a new language file say tf_customEnglish.txt, could I then import (or load) tf_english.txt into it?

MOCOLONI

L6: Sharp Member
Dec 16, 2014
You'd have to edit the HUD and make it localize a custom label; there's no need to "load" tf_english.txt into a custom one.

BackSun

Apr 4, 2019
That would be great if I only wanted to edit something in the HUD (and sorry for how I originally worded my question, I changed it for clarity).

But what if I wanted to change something that is purely text? Like a weapon attribute's text? For example: "Attrib_DmgFromMelee_Increased" normally says "+%s1% damage from melee sources while active", but if I wanted to change it to say "%s1% pointy-er swords". Could I change that without having to update the tf_english.txt file every time the TF updates the localization files? Or am I out of luck here?