1. Hey there Guest,

The game servers have moved to semi-dedicated hardware and IPs have changed. Please see front page server widget for up-to-date game server information.

Custom Icons for CTF

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by Unh3lpful, Jul 22, 2015.

1. Unh3lpful

Unh3lpful L2: Junior Member

Positive Ratings:
    I'm trying to get some basic entity work for the HUD of my map to work for prep of the 72 hr contest but I'm having some trouble. I've created the 2 icons and put them in the folders as the field describes and they have worked, sort of. I get this,

[​IMG]

Also, when the flag isn't picked up it just shows the default, so how can I change that, there doesn't seem to be a field for it.

These are the icons for reference.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

EDIT:
    Also, does anyone know what the pillar of light for engy teleporters in mvm is called and is it a prop, or a particle. Thanks.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2015
  2. Izotope

aa Izotope Never releases maps

Positive Ratings:
    I believe it's a particle.
    I always use this list to find TF2 particles https://forums.alliedmods.net/showthread.php?t=127111

EDIT:
    Oh, didn't see that "mvm" part, thought you meant regular teleporters, I don't know if the giant pillar is a model or a particle, but since there's some fancy effect when the pillar disappears, I'm guessing it's a particle too.

3. Berry

aa Berry spooky scary skeletons

Positive Ratings:
    Are you using a custom VMT? If it's a simple HUD replacement, you should not need one.

Also make sure that when you open both the original VTF and the new VTF that they have the same boxes ticked and unticked here:
    [​IMG]
    (don't copy what I have ticked here, it's likely different.)

4. Unh3lpful

Positive Ratings:
    I think I've spoken wrong. Its made for the replacement of the icon. It's one of the fields of the item_teamflag

5. Berry

Positive Ratings:
    Post/screencap your flags and VMT here so we can take a look at those

6. Unh3lpful

Positive Ratings:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. Lampenpam

aa Lampenpam

Positive Ratings:
    You are missing the "$translucent" "1" line. Also does the texture have an alpha channel?

8. Berry

Positive Ratings:
    Try this for your VMT (I took this from hud/obj_briefcase_red/blu.vmt and slightly changed it):
    Code:
    "UnlitGeneric"
    {
    	"$baseTexture" "cp_satanic/hud_red"
    	$translucent 1
    	"$vertexcolor" 1
    	"$vertexalpha" 1
    	"$no_fullbright" 1
    	"$ignorez" 1
    	"$additive" 1
    }

The issue seems to be you were using the default VMT which is set up to only have your VTF for a standard brush material, and no translucency or anything.

As well, tick the following (no mipmap/no LOD is typical for HUDs so it stays at best quality):
    [​IMG]

9. Unh3lpful

Positive Ratings:
    Now it shows up as a purple an black checkerboard. Sorry for being such a hassle.
    Also, do you know how to change the other icons, such as when it is home and when it is dropped, because this only seems to change when you are holding it.

10. Berry

Positive Ratings:
    The $basetexture line I gave you must be wrong. Perhaps it's because I used / instead of \? Either way, swap my basetexture line for yours and it should work.

11. Unh3lpful

Positive Ratings:
    Fixed. I forgot to put the vgui/ infront of the line.