CTF Base Layouts: Unifying Two Sections of the Same Base

Mar

Banned
Feb 12, 2009
Pretty much everybody agrees that the best CTF map out there is Turbine, which is also the smallest. You may want to reconsider that position. Or produce a very big CTF map that's actually good to prove us wrong ;)

@StoneFrog : maybe you could turn this into a 3-CP map. Look at Oilfield for an example of a successfull map in that format.

Turbine is the best CTF map out there, true. But it is not a great map. There is only 1 path that avoids the spawn (fatal mistake of 2fort), and you have only one neutral area, which is a giant death-match pit (fatal mistake of mach4). While small for a 5-cp map, it doesn't have any small narrow areas (short of the vents.

And for a very big CTF map that works very well gameplay wise, my acquaintance Chro has made one. Perhaps I will convince him to upload it. It is very ugly but plays beautifully becuase there is no way to lock down the flag. It is to big for a stationary defense and it forces the defence to play offence, and for the defense to be very mobile.

Apom

L6: Sharp Member
Sep 14, 2008
Turbine is the best CTF map out there, true. But it is not a great map. There is only 1 path that avoids the spawn (fatal mistake of 2fort), and you have only one neutral area, which is a giant death-match pit (fatal mistake of mach4).
Two objections: first, the vent may be one-way, but it exists nonetheless. Second, while one of the paths does indeed go right in front of the spawn, the intel is close enough that you can use this path on your way back after having killed your opponents, because they will not have respawned yet (admittedly not that easy in 12v12, but far more common in 6v6).

So really, it's more like there are two paths in and out, which is good because there is so little distance between the intel and the neutral zone. Not to mention that the main path actually splits in two a few meters before the intel room, which does not make a third path for path defense, but does make a third one when you consider sentry coverage of the intel room.

Uriak

L8: Fancy Shmancy Member
Apr 27, 2008
map may be enjoyable in 6vs6

Fixed ;)

Obviously both the vent and spawn passages are a real alternative in non 24+ servers only.

If there exist some ctf with a non obfuscating layout, and spawn rooms that don't lead to primary passages, I'd like to give it a try. In the meanwhile, we enjoy ourselves with pl and cp maps.

Last edited:

Apom

L6: Sharp Member
Sep 14, 2008
12v12 can still be enjoyable if people agree not to be dicks and plant sentries all over the place. Also if one team takes the upper hand and seizes the middle area then spams sticky bombs over all entrances, it's utterly annoying, but the "OMG FRAG" mentality is to be blamed, not the map.

I've seen übers being cast from the vent in 12v12 on many occasions and don't think it's underused, regardless of numbers of players. But yes, it's true that Turbine plays a lot better in 8v8 than 12v12 (6v6 isn't that awesome). Of course, since there isn't a single CTF map that plays well in 12v12, I still stand by my point: big CTF map = bad.

Uriak

L8: Fancy Shmancy Member
Apr 27, 2008
Of course I was exagerrating. If you agressively use the ingame voice chat to make the creeping engies turn into offensive medics, the map is enjoyable. I still find that the most exiting part of ctf (mainly taking the intel back to its objective) is painly underused at the moment.

Maybe with a map where the intel rooms and capture zone room are equally hard to get attaign would do the trick ?
Another good design that is used in some pl/cp maps is the partial objective zones, mainly good fortified positions that give a great advantage when taken other by one team, whereas the real objective area is difficult to defend.