Cracky Pop Vending Machine

Model Cracky Pop Vending Machine 1.0

Pocket

Half a Lambert is better than one.
aa
Nov 14, 2009
This is epic, as always. One issue though: The mipmapping... as usual you had some kind of sharpening option on, and it's made the edges "glow" at far distances. But this time it's created a noticeable seam on the left side:

testloading0001.jpg

Actually even close up, the texture on those sections doesn't quite mesh up. As always, I only bother to bring this up because the model is so awesome.

EDIT: Ooh, also, I find myself wanting a physics model of the actual pop bottle now. Thoughts?

Rexy

The Kwisatz Haderach
aa
Dec 22, 2008
vending_machine_03.jpg

Adding a blu skin, check the download for an update in a few minutes. I also fixed the seaming issues, thanks steve. A physics version, tomorrow.

Pocket

aa
Nov 14, 2009
I also fixed the seaming issues, thanks steve. A physics version, tomorrow.

Woohoo! Looks amazing now.

Now that I think about it, I don't believe I've ever seen a model with both see-through glass and solid stuff before now. All the vehicle models I've seen either have no windows or have ones tinted a solid black, and that includes the Half-Life games. Is Valve just lazy, or was whatever you did to make that work not available when the Orange Box first released?

Rexy

The Kwisatz Haderach
aa
Dec 22, 2008
Now that I think about it, I don't believe I've ever seen a model with both see-through glass and solid stuff before now. All the vehicle models I've seen either have no windows or have ones tinted a solid black, and that includes the Half-Life games. Is Valve just lazy, or was whatever you did to make that work not available when the Orange Box first released?

Oh it's simple, it's just a matter of applying different surfaces in your 3D software and naming them appropriately when creating your texture files. This process is going to be different with whatever you're using. I've been doing this forever, and essentially you can get an unlimited number of different shader types, like translucency, reflectivity, phong, or anything else the source engine on a single model (and still use just 1 texture!). I don't believe Valve is lazy...I can think of several examples where this is done, aren't there combine doors with glass in them? And at the same time there are plenty of models that have illuminated parts as well. In any case, those are all materials from years ago, think of how far things have come.

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
did I really use my 5000th post for that...

What a waste.

Maan now I need to waste another 4000 posts to reach the next major milestone. Bummer.

bunivasal

L1: Registered
Aug 25, 2010
I've been looking for a vending machine model to use so that I can drop a candybar health kit in front of it for ages.

Pocket

aa
Nov 14, 2009
Two questions: (1) Is this eligible for use in the Artpass map? and (2) Are you going to be posting that freestanding bottle sometime?

Rexy

The Kwisatz Haderach
aa
Dec 22, 2008
Yes, it is available for the artpass, along with any model I've posted in the downloads section. And to the bottle, probably not anytime soon.