cp_orange_assault

Wilson

Boomer by Sleep
aa
May 4, 2010
Still, you never should make orange maps, they only make you look like lazy and you never get any real attention, i bet everyone knows orange x but not the person who made it.

If it is not already enough we have millions of these orange maps anyway.

lana

Currently On: ?????
aa
Sep 28, 2009
I've made non orange maps, and there isn't a very different amount of work required, it just depends on the map.

Less work is required because no thought goes into appearance. You never think, "What would this be in real life?" because you never intend to see it in anything more than an orange gray disgusting tumble.

Boylee

pew pew pew
aa
Apr 29, 2008
I've made non orange maps, and there isn't a very different amount of work required, it just depends on the map.

I do hope this is trolling.

Try texturing, placing props, placing overlays, creating environmental lighting, placing detail brushes and detailing brush entities, adding a soundscape and then packing the whole thing successfully and then try and come tell us that it's the same amount of effort as making a simple orange map.

The reason that people feel so strongly about orange maps isn't the fact that it contains an orange texture it's the fact that it often contains little else. TF2 has a wealth of textures, models and environmental entities designed to enable map makers to create immersive and attractive environments. The results of this freedom of design can be seen in many exemplary maps posted on this site, maps which have taken a lot of time and effort to create. Now compare these maps to orange maps objectively and I'm sure you'll agree that the amount of effort required couldn't be more different. The production of 'orange maps', also known as cheap, boring, unimaginative maps, can only cheapen the mapping efforts of the dedicated mapping community, and this is why said community detest them so.

/rant

Just take the 'orange' out of the name, have a go at texturing it and placing props and change it from final to alpha. If you demonstrate that you'll take feedback and improve this map by doing so then people here will be much less hostile, I promise.

Last edited:
T

The Asylum

isthistrolling.gif

Passerby

L2: Junior Member
Mar 27, 2010
ya really just put a little work into it and detail it and make it something original otherwise no one will remember the map or who made it.

if i try to think of custom maps off the top of me head it is the ones that catch they eye and have good game play like cp_coldfront by icuras, cft_overwatch by DaBeatzProject, and cp_blackmesa by dragonhill because tehy all of something special about there style and gameplay for your i wouldn't even remember the name little lone the mapper since it is just 1 of a few thousand orange maps

Bermuda Cake

L9: Fashionable Member
Feb 20, 2009
orange is a means to an end, because it is literally a development texture. It is a means. To an end.

People use dev textures to block out a map, so if there are problems they don't have to delete lots of detailing. Designing your map around the dev textures leaves little room for actual improvement and restricts style and layout.

pekken

L1: Registered
May 5, 2008
your map is shit man, and u are a shit tf2 player (yes u are, the fact that u like orange maps says enough)