CP courtyards_v1

Kagatos

L1: Registered
Jan 3, 2011
Thanks for the info Sgt. Frag,

You are correct I was using a 32 point grid. I will definitely take everything you said into consideration as I look into re-doing a bunch of things. I'm going to be compiling some notes from the STV clip, comments and from what I jotted down during play and will be re-working the level.

At this point though I'm not sure if I'm going to start from scratch or try to work with what I got already...I'm wondering what will be easier at this point.

But thank you for taking the time to write up what you did....I appreciate it, and I hope a couple more that played it will do the same so I can take those into account as well.

Cheers,

-Kag

LeSwordfish

semi-trained quasi-professional
aa
Aug 8, 2010
The map had some scale problems, including some mega sightlines, and tiny corridors, but was overall not as horrible as it seemed. (That sounded more like a compliment in my head). People enjoyed the spawn setup, and i liked the middle point's basic design.

The spawn exits seemed to be odd. Are you using OnEndTouch or OnEndTouchAll?

Last edited:

Sergis

L666: ])oo]v[
aa
Jul 22, 2009
2nd point wasnt very interesting geometry wise. you could cut out areas A and B and place some enterable building there or something.

long paths without cover like C are bad. put a sniper at one end of it and the path is useless for other team. break them up somehow. add cover/turns/shack in the middle/whatever.

i recommend you make sure one cap area is not visible/potentially visible/whatever the hell that is called from another, so that when you start detailing, you can add more details without fps going to shit. i drew two examples how it could be done at D and E (purple lines are hint brushes)

cp_courtyards_a30000.jpg

Kagatos

Jan 3, 2011
The spawn exits seemed to be odd. Are you using OnEndTouch or OnEndTouchAll?

Currently its set on OnEndTouch should it be the other one?
I know others were talking about the doors acting weird...but I can't remember exactly what it was...they didn't open fast enough?...damn, I guess I'll have to wait for the STV to check.

Thanks for the input Sergis, I'll keep that in mind with the redesign.

Thank you all for taking the time, I appreciate it....and keep it coming please!

red_flame586

L420: High Member
Apr 19, 2009
OnEndTouch means it runs the input as soon as someone stops touching the trigger meaning that the door will close when one person exits, no matter how many people are inside the trigger

OnEndTouchAll means it runs the input when everyone who entered the trigger has left, this is the one that you want

You'll probably also want to make sure that the start is OnStartTouchAll

Kagatos

Jan 3, 2011
OnEndTouch means it runs the input as soon as someone stops touching the trigger meaning that the door will close when one person exits, no matter how many people are inside the trigger

OnEndTouchAll means it runs the input when everyone who entered the trigger has left, this is the one that you want

You'll probably also want to make sure that the start is OnStartTouchAll

Thanks, I will switch em over to that.

Kagatos

Jan 3, 2011
New map up, trying to keep this post linked to it so as to avoid clutter.

Name change - cp_courtyards is now cp_rumbleyards

major changes to layout, doors, spawns, I think I addressed everything that came up from the play testing....or at least I tried to! :)

Kagatos

Jan 3, 2011
Yup, the screenshots are up to date with the new map.

I'm not sure why it looks that way, but in game its not really that dark...its probably because I was floating in the air in a darker part of the room when I took the pic. But I was trying for a bit darker than the rest of the map...its supposed to be an older building with rundown lights.

Edit - Found Blue's 2nd spawn gate got borked somewhere along the way...will be fix in next release along with cap blocking...(hopefully)

Last edited:

Kagatos

Jan 3, 2011
Cap block should be in now, fixed a spawn door and changed some minor textures around as well as filling in some open space.

Sep 1, 2009
Gameday opinion:
I feel that there are too many contrasting textures al over the place and that you should have them replaced with team coloured dev textures which would also making it slightly easier to navigate. the clipped downwards ramp made me feel cheated of a deathpit kill satifcation and should be remade into a death pit. The 2 cp building felt too small and cramped and was to easy for a sentry to control. The middle reminded me of some sort of Italian villa sloping roofs etc. Also the middle water is strange...somehow strange..... I like how the map is going and would like to see it again.