Compiling

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by Katame, Apr 7, 2011.

1. Katame

Katame L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    I am having issues understanding how to compile a hat in tf2 as well as weapons. I have read the tutorial on here and I am still having issues. :confused: I have the programs mentioned and managed to size my items and export them as .smd files but I am lost from there. I just don't understand were I get the QC files what they are really and how to use them. I tried studio compiler and don't know what to use for the reference. I am just completely lost. :crying:

2. Freyja

aa Freyja ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Positive Ratings:
    A QC file is a file YOU create that tells the compiling program, and the game, everything about your model, such as reflectivity properties, location of your texture(s), whether it should be dynamic or static, etc.

For example, this is my QC file;
    cd is the full address to the doled with your SMD, and your qc
    Staticprop tells the game your model is static only
    Modelname is the name of your model, obviously
    Model is for body groups, just leave it as body and your filename to begin with
    Cd materials is the folder with your vmt texture files
    Surfaceprop is what decals and sound your model is associated with in game. Wood, stone, concrete etc
    Sequence is for animations, but you need an idle one, like above.
    Collision model is the filename of your collision model. Don't forge the curly brackets.

You can just paste that (and edit it to your model, obviously), into any text editor, though I recommend notepad++, as it can be used for the compiling too.
    Then, what I do, is open the .qc in notepad++ (which you can find online), hit F6, and in the command window type this

Hit run, and it compiles for me if everything is right. Easy!

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2011
  3. Katame

Positive Ratings:
    Thanks! That helped a lot! ^_^

4. Seba

aa Seba DR. BIG FUCKER, PHD

Positive Ratings:
    This VDC page helps a ton when messing around with .qc's. Bookmark it.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. Katame

Positive Ratings:
    Thanks a lot guys, you're awesome! >^.^<

Okay, at this point, I've got a qc file that I think might work. However, my notepad++ doesn't have anything about compiling to a QC file. How do I get it to do that? Is there some plug-in I need for it?