Compiling not working.

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by Peligrino, Jul 8, 2010.

1. Peligrino

Peligrino L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    Its not because of an error, its because when it gets to Process Block Thread it just freezes up and says VIS isn't working. Anything I can do to stop this?

2. Mick-a-nator

aa Mick-a-nator

Positive Ratings:
    Does it ever finish? to are you forced to close hammer to abort? (assuming you are using the default compiler)
    If it finishes, then check the point file if there is one.

3. bubblewrap

bubblewrap L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    Does it do it on all your maps, or just one?

4. Peligrino

Positive Ratings:
    Mick-a-nator: No, I've waited extremely long times and it never finishes.
    bubblewrap: I only have one map at the moment, I havent tried with another one.

5. Drexer

Drexer L2: Junior Member

Positive Ratings:
    Try it with an official Valve map or make just a box and try it. It's just to confirm, but the probable reason is that your map is unoptimized/everything is world brushes.

6. Peligrino

Positive Ratings:
    Would making all the brushes func_detail help?

7. bubblewrap

bubblewrap L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    Definately not. Func_detail doesn't seal the map, which would only mess things up more. Only use func_detail for small, fiddly brushes that you dont want to be considered when the compiler works out the visleafs.

Also, try drexer's idea of making a quick little box map to make sure you can compile properly at all.

Edit: If you already changed everything into func_details (silly) just select every brush that connects the interior of the map to the exterior (the walls, basically) and click the toWorld button on the right.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2010
  8. Mick-a-nator

aa Mick-a-nator

Positive Ratings:
    assuming you haven't made everything func_detail (please don't :(), how much func_detail have you got? As mentioned by bubblewrap, but there's a bit more to it. I don't mean to confuse you, so if the following does, just ignore it.
    Basically, a func_detail is treated by the compiler as a prop (I believe it compiles them separately and places them into the bsp after creating the world). You need to use them when you have a brush that you don't want to cut up vis (both, visibility and the compile process ;)). These cases include stairs, stuff that you can see through, and most other details or things with large amounts of geometry relative to their size.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  9. Peligrino

Positive Ratings:
    Thanks to everyone for their help! I didn't change anything to func_detail yet so dont worry. Im still in the very early stages of my map and the map is 5 CP so I still have a lot of empty space. Compiling does work for a box in an empty room, so I'll build more in my map and then see if the visibility has gone down to more manageable sizes for my computer.

10. Mr.Late

Mr.Late L7: Fancy Member

Positive Ratings:
    If you have any complex brushes in your map (like spheres, cylinders, cones, stairs), you should turn them into func_details.

11. Drexer

Drexer L2: Junior Member

Positive Ratings:
    It wont go down. It's mainly a problem that you have to solve 'or else'. Compiling should not take more than 5-10 minutes.

You basically need to func_detail everything that works as detail and not as a wall. Why don't you take some screenshots of the map in hammer and we'll explain it better to you mayhaps.