Common layout issues and how to avoid them

SED4906

L4: Comfortable Member
Apr 29, 2020
This is by no means going to be an exhaustive list, but I want to touch upon what I've seen during map tests. I'll add to this over time.

"Missing the point"
A lot of maps have side routes. All the official ones have them. A common mistake is to place side routes where the point is only seen through an opening where the two routes meet (or that just let the player walk past). This causes players to see their opponents before their objective. One way to avoid this is to make side routes connect back to the main route at multiple points. Generally, players should see their objective before they see their opponents, no matter which route they choose. How? Look at Lakeside, a KoTH map. (This issue affects KoTH maps the most.)

lakeside_side_route.png

After taking the tunnel to the right out of spawn, a sign directs your attention to the point, which is already visible and reachable.
Once you walk past the cover of the sign, you'll also see the side room, which has a door leading to the point if you enter.
In any case, the first glimpse you see of the point in the round will happen before you see an enemy player.