Class-Specific Barriers / Pass-Through Walls

Sneed

L1: Registered
Jun 17, 2024
I would like to create an area that only Scouts can access, or maybe Scouts and Spies.

Intuition tells me that I should find a way that only the Scout's mobility gives him access to, but with modern TF2 there are so many ways for Soldiers, Demos, Pyros, and even Engineers to scale double-jump walls.

My first instinct was to try and create 'grates' where players can stand but projectiles pass through, which would make it more difficult to rocket jump, but that really doesn't work. Stickies stick to the sides of blocks and can scale up, similarly soldiers can hit the sides and jump up. I'm trying to imagine in my head how I can twist a vertical path to filter out jumpers, but it would have to be very clausterphobic.

1718659402333.png

I could just add a door with a class filter but it'd be trivial for a scout just to open it and let everyone in.

My second thought is to add an elevator that only goes up with the correct classes standing in it (+ a door blocker in the ceiling to prevent jumping), but that would be easier to grief. If a soldier just stands there it's out of commission. I'd have to add several to have any chance of defeating this.

My map would be for traditional gameplay so it's not some weird challenge map. I find it kind of frustrating there's not a very intuitive way of creating flanking avenues that benefit Scout only.

Any thoughts?