Carving isn't that bad

Blue552

L3: Member
Sep 16, 2009
Show me something carve can do better than clip.

It's not that it does it better, just faster in some situations.

For instance, I don't like to make my maps with the skybox texture in hammer, so before I compile A make a massive block and use the hollow tool.

Ctrl+M will bring up the transform tool which will allow you to change angles within less then 30 minutes.

Blue552

Sep 16, 2009
I'm not trying to say that carve is your solution to everything, I'm just saying it's not guaranteed to break your map.

lana

Currently On: ?????
aa
Sep 28, 2009
It's not that it does it better, just faster in some situations.

For instance, I don't like to make my maps with the skybox texture in hammer, so before I compile A make a massive block and use the hollow tool.

Ctrl+M will bring up the transform tool which will allow you to change angles within less then 30 minutes.

There's something faster than that. It's called the cordon tool. It works better than a hollow block because you can enable/disable it on the fly. Carve doesn't work better than clip, and most of its uses can be done faster using clip including your example.

Blue552

Sep 16, 2009
There's something faster than that. It's called the cordon tool. It works better than a hollow block because you can enable/disable it on the fly. Carve doesn't work better than clip, and most of its uses can be done faster using clip including your example.

Wouldn't that be dependent on the mapper?

I find that shift+b ctrl+shift+c

is faster then

Shift+x [line] shift+s shift+x [line]

it's just convenient sometimes.

DJive

Cake or Death?
aa
Dec 20, 2007

Wouldn't that be dependent on the mapper?

I find that shift+b ctrl+shift+c

is faster then

Shift+x [line] shift+s shift+x [line]

it's just convenient sometimes.

Sure it saves time.. ALL bad techniques save time.

Heh, had too =p

Void

Local Man Unable To Map, Sources Say
aa
Sep 14, 2008
thinkingwithcarving.png

Rexy

The Kwisatz Haderach
aa
Dec 22, 2008
I have to do it...

boolean1.jpg

boolean2.jpg

BOOLEAN IS GREAT!!

LOOKING FORWARD TO WRITING LW TUTORIAL (if we do a modeling contest)!