[CAMP] style map pack for TF2

trainRiderJ

L5: Dapper Member
Mar 14, 2008
Here are two ideas:

1. Have two or three respected senior members/administrators of the site pick 8 maps that they believe deserve consideration for inclusion in a community map pack. Make that list the default server rotation (and encourage other server admins to do the same on their server, since the list should be a good rotation in its own right). After a certain time (2 weeks?) have the community vote on the 4 best maps. If successful, repeat until 8 decent maps cannot be found.

2. Have more map contests, and make a map pack of the top 3-4 maps for each contest.

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
I'd just say put all the contest maps into a pack once the contest is over. you can either make it a condition of entering or only if the author consents.

phatal

L6: Sharp Member
Jan 8, 2008
Ok Ok... I'll do it. I'll just judge the maps. :) Send them to me.

BTW... that list is horribly inaccurate. ctf-2fort?!? We rtv that map EVERY time... it's horrible.

ryodoan

Resident Bum
Nov 2, 2007
Ok Ok... I'll do it. I'll just judge the maps. :) Send them to me.

BTW... that list is horribly inaccurate. ctf-2fort?!? We rtv that map EVERY time... it's horrible.

It cant really be inaccurate since its polling live server data...

lerlerson

L2: Junior Member
Nov 27, 2007
This sounds like a great idea, and if we were having five maps... well, it'd be a stretch to get each one to be great, but we could try for having each map to be a different maptype, IE:

CTF
CP
TC
KOTH
Payload (PL or what?)

Although I'd probably switch KoTH or TC out with Roden's Domination maptype simply because Complex is so awesome... and Domination's just like a better version of KoTH.

hydrage

L1: Registered
Apr 9, 2008
Hey, I wanted to bump this thread. I think a "semi-official" mappack would definitely promote the custom map scene, even if the "semi-officialness" is nothing more than an endorsement by the TF2Maps.net community.

I don't know what kind of requirements and/or contest criteria you would want to use, but I'd recommend that it be a regulary-scheduled recurring event, such as releasing a mappack every 4 months or so. Something like the "TF2Maps.net Summer '08" mappack, the "TF2Maps.net Fall '08" mappack, etc. You could name the actual mappacks whatever you like, but you get my drift.

I think having a regularly scheduled contest, where the top x maps would be included in the mappack, would give mappers an incentive to make higher-quality maps. And if their submission doesn't make the cut, they still have hope: they have another 4 months or so to polish it up for the next mappack contest.

Hawk

L7: Fancy Member
Dec 3, 2007
You know, I think it's a good idea to periodically release the map packs. But you'd have to be careful to release them at the right intervals. If you release them too often, there may not be enough truly good maps yet to warrant a map pack... And you want people to feel like when they download the map pack they're getting certified quality maps. If one turd is included in the map pack, it counteracts the purpose. So I guess the frequency of a map pack release depends on how often our community finishes a good map.

Plus, I agree that periodically-released map packs is a great incentive for mappers to polish their maps.