Bots

• If you're asking a question make sure to set the thread type to be a question!

rectool

L1: Registered
May 29, 2017
I play on my map,but the bot-sniper bot-the engineer does not want to get out of spawn.Why?

sooshey

:3c
aa
Jan 7, 2015
Did you generate a nav mesh? Load your map, turn on sv_cheats, and then type "nav_generate" into the console. This is required for bots and bosses to be able to move.

PenolAkushari

Never Played MvM
Apr 28, 2017
Did you place hint entities on your map? Like hint_sentry, hint_sniper_spot or something like that. Usually Engineers refer to those points on map to build, while snipers would usually camp at marked sniper spots. Can't remember exact "names" of those hint entities, sorry.

Fillmore

L5: Dapper Member
Jul 20, 2014
Sniperbots need a func_tfbot_hint, so they know where to stand and aim. Engineer-bots, on the other hand, use regular point entities (bot_hint_sentryspot, bot_hint_engineer_nest and bot_hint_teleporter_exit).

If you don't have said bunch of entities on your map, neither bot is gonna do anything (especially Engineer, he really doesn't wanna do anything if the map doesn't have those entities for him)

PenolAkushari

Never Played MvM
Apr 28, 2017
Don't sniperbots also use point entities for navigation?
snoiper.png

Fillmore

Jul 20, 2014
Valve has used the brush entity for Sniper-bots on all of the MvM maps, so I kinda doubt those will work. I don't even think Valve has ever used those anywhere (maybe those things are for people who like to manually place Sniper-bot spots on their PvP maps?)

PenolAkushari

Never Played MvM
Apr 28, 2017
Hm, those seemed to work for me, though console spewed out some errors mentioning those sniper hints on server startup, but snipers were cycling around them anyway.
Probably I shouldn't actually talk about stuff which I don't fully understand, though.

[Rx.] Christian Troy

Jan 23, 2017
Here is what I use to generate a .nav file.

nav_generate
nav_edit 1 (this part is important or analyze will not work)
nav_analyze