Resource icon

CP Backstage a7b

Radial

L3: Member
Aug 4, 2019
Radial submitted a new resource:

Backstage (Stage 1) - Sneak Backstage into Vague Non-copyright infringing Hollywood!

Entry into latest TF2Maps contest, Stack the Deck.

Read more about this resource...

NinjaB75

L1: Registered
Apr 25, 2023
So since you asked to post my feedback here, here you go

------Overall------
-I think this stage has the basis of being pretty solid, though needs some changing to get there
-I like the theme you're going for, I'm a bit of a sucker for anything set in TF2's standard setting and it's not often I get to see anything set in a trainyard like this especially set on (presumably) a mountain side
-Both points have a bit of an issue of being easily rolled since RED about half the time doesn't have time to set up from their previous defense.
.-Funnily enough I noticed a bit of a pattern where RED would commit to holding the area infront of BLU spawn, get wiped because they committed to holding the area infront of BLU spawn (which in fairness, is a decently defendable area in isolation), lose A since what remaining survivors can't hold it due to being out numbered, and then if BLU gets enough respawners in the forward spawn and RED doesn't get enough respawners to set up second gets rolled.

------Hard to Hold------
-This is prob the biggest thing I have to say on the matter so here you go
-When defending, it seems that both points only have a backward hold to them, meaning that if RED fucks up once they lose the point.
.-This is bad because it can be frustrating for RED to hold and generally anticlimactic for BLU to take
-Typically, you want to have a forward and backward hold for RED on A/D and Payload so RED isn't punished for making a single mistake while not being too frustrating/exhausting for BLU to take
-For second however,

------Second Point------
-Second is very interestingly balanced, It's essentially just one large choke with cover designed to have most of the combat happen across the train tracks.
-here's what the the current front line look like
radB1.png

-BLU has highground on the top but is generally dangerous to use since it leaves you vulnerable to spam. Still an important area to try to make an opening to attack the point from
-the bottom route puts you on low ground but is relatively easier to attack from since it's relatively more difficult for RED to defend
-RED had to defend the point from a single choke that's surprising to too hard to hold. In order for BLU to push the point they essentially have to flush RED out of their choke to cap. One it reaches this stage BLU pretty much wins.
radB2.png

-RED can try to hold infront of of the point but is generally pretty risky due to low ground and a difficulty retreating
-since this is the first stage on a three stage map you should make sure it's not too easy to defend
-Also you prob know this already but the retractable platforms spanning the rail line when active make it easier to attack. Nothing wrong with that I just think it's neat

----- The area infront of BLU spawn ------
-This area seems pretty unfocused and is ironically easier to hold than A at times
-The design of this area doesn't matter too much as long as BLU can easily overrun it and RED can retreat to their forward hold on the first point, lest this area is meant to the forward hold (which it's not with how it's set up)
-Quite frankly I'd just redo this area. It's complicated, awkward, narrow, and is a solid defensive sniper sightline
-The distance from BLU spawn to the first point is good so don't change that, though this area and first could be resized a bit
radA3.jpg

-I would recommend you try to what this area's function is in the game word as an actual place rather than just a gameplay space and then try to turn that into a gameplay space since this area seems pretty confused as to what it's identity is. Of course, gameplay is more important than detailing but I think it'd help give a bit of direction to make this area.

------First Point------
-RED, assuming they didn't get wiped trying to hold the area out side of BLU spawn, they have to play on their backfoot to hold first which can make it a bit frustrating. However, the literal hold itself is fine
-Here's what the front line on first looks like (when RED gets to set up)
radA1.jpg

radA2.jpg

-I don't really have much to say about A since it's generally pretty good, just need a bit of tweaking as to push BLU's initial front line further away from the point. This would fine if BLU forced RED to retreat to it from a more aggressive defense

-----Misc-----
-Some of the transitional area can be confusing to navigate, though it seems like you've been bettering those already

But yeah, that's about what I think on the matter
Best of luck on the contest

Attachments

• radB2.png
    radB2.png
    738.7 KB · Views: 10
  • radB2.png
    radB2.png
    738.7 KB · Views: 11

Radial

L3: Member
Aug 4, 2019
Radial updated Backstage with a new update entry:

A7

Changelog:
  • Made where you are supposed to go when leaving RED's forward spawn more obvious.
  • New flank at A.
  • Swapped the windows in the building opposite B and made it more obvious which one is open.
  • Widened out the area outside BLU spawn a bit.
  • Renamed the control points to fit what they are supposed to be better.
  • Soundscape fixes.

Read the rest of this update entry...

ics

http://ics-base.net
aa
Jun 17, 2010
This is for version cp_backstage_stage1_a7a

So I had a look on the map, first i thought its a bit big but if someone says so, they are wrong. I dont get into clip issues or visuals at this point that much for obvious reasons but I did noticed couple of things.

This doorway where i'm holding sticky launcher (see image #1) seems to be a spot where you can "lock" the blu team from advancing easily by just holding this one spot. The side route on the right isnt accessible if theres a sentry or couple here blocking the path and team has some idea how to defend. So my solution would be adding a 3rd lower route to the spot seen above the crosshair on the 2nd image. It would be coming out from the other side where there is ammo & health pack, kind of to the backside of the previous spot. This way the gameplay isnt locked into that one spot alone.

The other thing would be in image 3 - lowering the arrow and B sign so that the dumb players like me who dont look up would see that there is another route far back on the left, when player approaches that area from the point. The sign and arrow is now easily seen if you exit the forward spawn, but may not be seen by everyone from here. I didnt notice it on the first go myself as i was just looking back there if there is a route or not.

The third thing I noticed that when you approach the 1st point from BLU side, you cant actually see the point itself untill you are close to it. The metal fence prop is blocking view to it. Players would propably benefit if they could see that hologram, so maybe replacing the prop with some smaller not so tall one would be beneficial. Or lowering the prop itself to the ground or outside the point a bit, sort of like outside of the edge of the corner.

4th and minor thing is that if you go as demoman to the far left exit of the BLU base (one at up there), you can stand on the opening doorway and shoot stickies or pipebombs directly to the BLU spawn. There is that respawnvisualizer blocker but you can stand up there right just outside the door and do this.

That is all that I noticed and paid attention for now. Looking forward for less blocky new version to see more. There arent that many 2cp maps so perhaps this would be a welcome addition to that genre. Good luck with the map and just make decisions that you think are best. Not everyone giving feedback is always correct, unless they are all saying the same thing.

Attachments

• cp_backstage_stage1_a7a0000.jpg
    cp_backstage_stage1_a7a0000.jpg
    595.6 KB · Views: 5
  • cp_backstage_stage1_a7a0006.jpg
    cp_backstage_stage1_a7a0006.jpg
    539.4 KB · Views: 7
  • cp_backstage_stage1_a7a0002.jpg
    cp_backstage_stage1_a7a0002.jpg
    568 KB · Views: 6