Assembly

Sel

Banned
Feb 18, 2009
Selentic, I feel the need to step in here. There is constructive criticism, and there's just arguing for the sake of itself. Once you have posted your critique, it's really not appropriate to then argue w/ the author about it. I encourage you to continue giving feedback, but there is no need squabble about every specific point afterwards. So please tone it down a bit. Thank you, from the management :)

You're absolutely right, there's no need for me to continue saying what I said in my first post, as it's going to be ignored anyway :)

Armadillo of Doom

Group Founder, Lover of Pie
aa
Oct 25, 2007
You're absolutely right, there's no need for me to continue saying what I said in my first post, as it's going to be ignored anyway :)
Being passive aggressive does not help either ;) I do not wish to derail this thread any further. In short, offer your feedback and be done with it, but do not argue. Authors are free to consider or not consider any advice as they see fit.

Apr 19, 2009
Just in case some people are interested I am plugging away at a v2 of the crane. These are some of the pics I am using to make it more "realistic".

kenz-figee-s-container-cranes-strong-reach-solid-service-P191321.jpg

ship-to-shore-sts-container-crane-248290.jpg

3232567804_6b3e8a6a6a.jpg

Cranes%20on%20Ship2.jpg

Container_Crane_Mainz_Port_I.jpg

container-crane-positioning.gif

Nevertheless, I don't think it is possible to make a good looking crane without some custom models...

SlayerBlitz

L3: Member
Dec 3, 2009
the middle area seemed a bit too long and it be nice if you had a medkit in the top of the center and windows there, since it kinda blocks all sniping.

Pocket

Half a Lambert is better than one.
aa
Nov 14, 2009
Just in case some people are interested I am plugging away at a v2 of the crane. These are some of the pics I am using to make it more "realistic".

*looks at the photos*

:O

Aaaaaand best of luck to you.

Apr 19, 2009

Assembly(CTF)
(ctf_assembly_a23)

Gametype: Standard CTF
Players: 2-24 (32 max)
Author: Charles "The Political Gamer" Papanek
E-mail: thepoliticalgamer@gmail.com
Version: Alpha 23.
Custom content used:
intel_point_base model
Author: Mark "Shmitz" Major
E-mail: shmitz@gmail.com
Version: 1.0.0

Concrete Walls - Expanded Set
Author: Void

Prefabs used:
TF2 prefab pack
Author: Tim "Youme" Johnson
E-mail: die_stumpfe_klingen@hotmail.co.uk

Ultimate Mapping Resource Pack
Author: A Boojum Snark

Libraries used:

Displacement Library

Lighting Library
Author: Ravidge

Environment Gallery
Author: Acegikmo

Changelog:

03/19/2010:A23
  • Shifted the bases over
  • Lowered upper pathways
  • Added stairs to upper pathways
  • Changed theme to alpine style
  • Re-textured some of the bases
  • Cleaned up some detailing
  • Added bridge at mid

hl2%202010-03-19%2015-00-35-90.jpg

hl2%202010-03-19%2015-02-35-46.jpg

Psy

The Imp Queen
aa
Apr 9, 2008
Apparently. But I don't recognise the first screenshot as anything familiar.

Dark

L4: Comfortable Member
Nov 27, 2009
i think that this new layout is great, and did not clear the server like some were suggesting, a few things that i belive you should note

The bottom path was rarely used and imo it should be removed or made more obvious as a path maybe moving it more into the middle of the flow to be more taken

i'm not sure about this now but i think if there is not already a way for blu to get to the upper path from intel i am not sure how the bases are set up exsactally so i have no idea how hard it would be to implement such however we kept dropping the Intel up there and could not retrieve it

Rikka

L5: Dapper Member
Feb 10, 2009
The top path is preferred, but it suffers since either side puts you right outside a spawn door. The top right is preferred for obvious reasons: high up, wide view, and out the more hidden spawn exit.

I think the mid might be too large, and it separates the teams too much. Might want to shrink it a bit. Some people talked about the underneath path through mid being useless, though I don't necessarily think you should cut it.

Aug 10, 2009
The new mid has promise, that's for sure. My suggestion, as always, is to tighten it up. Try dropping a lot of your open spaces by 256 or 512. There was just a ton of unused space, that I don't think should be filled, but that nevertheless should not be there. The base is also a bit too open, but don't fill it, shrink and tighten it. Also, take out the underground area, it's completely unnecessary.

Apr 19, 2009

Assembly(CTF)
(ctf_assembly_a24)

Gametype: Standard CTF
Players: 2-24 (32 max)
Author: Charles "The Political Gamer" Papanek
E-mail: thepoliticalgamer@gmail.com
Version: Alpha 24.
Custom content used:
intel_point_base model
Author: Mark "Shmitz" Major
E-mail: shmitz@gmail.com
Version: 1.0.0

Concrete Walls - Expanded Set
Author: Void

Prefabs used:
TF2 prefab pack

Libraries used:

Displacement Library

Lighting Library
Author: Ravidge

Environment Gallery
Author: Acegikmo

Changelog:

03/22/2010:A24
  • Slimmed the mid down
  • Removed 2 lower base entries
  • Moved small upper med kits to center as a medium
  • Added more displacement work
  • Re-textured some of the bases
  • Cleaned up some detailing

hl2%202010-03-22%2007-52-55-97.jpg

hl2%202010-03-22%2007-51-22-24.jpg

Okrag

Wall Staples
aa
Jun 10, 2009
ctf_assembly_a240002.jpg

These boxes seem awkward, not only is there some clipping with ceiling, but how would one squeeze a box in there like that?
ctf_assembly_a240003.jpg

ctf_assembly_a240004.jpg

ctf_assembly_a240005.jpg

Pretty self explanatory.

Ravidge

Grand Vizier
aa
May 14, 2008
That is a quite impressive update post, nice credit list ;)

It certainly has improved lately. One major gripe that I still have (and can spot in the screenshots) is that the bases are HUGE walls of brick. I know it's alpha, but it feel very uninspiring to attack the bases.. I hope you know what I mean. It's still possible to have some general feel and personality to structures with dev textures even. This just feels blocky and it leaves me with a kind of bittersweet impression after a test.

I know that I should look at gameplay firsthand, but I really can't help noticing!
Sorry, I'm making it out to be a big deal when in fact it does not matter much at all.

You know.. after looking harder at the screens, I think that if you lower the walls, remove the rockwalls, add some fences, lightposts. Then make a detail/out of map area with more containers, traintracks, maybe that forklift model? some trees for color, chimneys with smoke and so on... the whole atmosphere of the map would take a major upswing and playing on it would turn from concretejungle to an actual place.

It may seem like a stupid thing to invest time in, but what are you doing while waiting for feedback anyway :p

Ida

deer
aa
Jan 6, 2008
I found this fun. I like your bases the way they are, and the middle is better as well. So I don't know what to say... Keep going in this direction anyway.

I don't know if I like the Gorge style, though.

Sep 12, 2008
Bump for today's test. I really don't know what to do next other then a few minor changes. :S

Maybe try to think of how to connect your map with the outside of the world. As in, how the detailing will look, and what kind of theme etc you are going for? It's never a bad idea to just detail some stuff :)