Artpass Smasher006

Discussion in 'Map Factory' started by Smasher006, Jul 25, 2010.

1. Smasher006

Smasher006 L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    Well, here's my submission the contest. While not being the most innovative maps in looks, I've decided to base it at the RED demolitions plant, with the points representing the different parts of it. To make BLU feel like more of an intrusion, the spawn base for them is going to be a defaced RED building. And, suggestions are welcome.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2010
  2. Gerbil

aa Gerbil

Positive Ratings:
    You should probably add some screenshots. Can't comment on the map's looks without them!

3. Smasher006

Positive Ratings:
    Just have. Forgot that .tga's aren't supported.

4. Gerbil

aa Gerbil

Positive Ratings:
    A good way to take better quality screenshots of your map is to go into spectator mode, and use the sv_cheats 1 and cl_drawhud 0 commands to disable the hud. There's a good tutorial on that here: http://forums.tf2maps.net/showthread.php?t=4223

Apart from that, it looks like a good start. Though I don't like the excessive use of blue paint on the BLU spawn.

5. Freyja

aa Freyja ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Positive Ratings:
    Haha I like blue spawn.
    But I don't like those metal sheets. They look odd.

6. strnadik

strnadik L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
  7. Lancey

aa Lancey Currently On: ?????

Positive Ratings:
    Blue spawn is quite the eyesore.

8. Mr. P. Kiwi

Mr. P. Kiwi L5: Dapper Member

Positive Ratings:
    Agreed, it's too painted...
    Maybe you should try doing it a lot less blu-ish.

9. Smasher006

Positive Ratings:
    Well, thanks for the feedback so far. I'll say by the comments the BLU spawn needs work on, so I'm going for that at the moment.

10. Smasher006

Positive Ratings:
  11. Swordz

Swordz L5: Dapper Member

Positive Ratings:
    Too much red payloads...

12. Efhan

Efhan L2: Junior Member

Positive Ratings:
    Well, this seems to be where all the RED payloads come from...Wait, this is before all the payload incidents. BLU take over the facilty and starts to bomb places.

13. Smasher006

Positive Ratings:
    A mix. I was having a hard time trying to decide what to do with the giant grey wall that separates the BLU spawn from Cap B, so I made it a storage point. The metal frame is a lift so stuff can be stored or taken down from there.

14. E.B.

E.B. L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    The bit with all the blue paint doesn't seem that great. To be frank, it looks like you took MSPaint and just waved the mouse around. I actually thought it was a paintover on top of the screenshot, but perspective shows that it's on top of the wood.
    If you want to have a "blue takes over red" building, it would probably look better to scrap the paint and instead add a BLU sign in the process being nailed over the RED one. Then you could detail the area with a couple extra BLU signs leaning against the wall, a ladder, a box of nails, etc. There also is a decent-looking set of stuff for paint in the SDK, like a paint roller and paintbrush+bucket prop, and I think an overlay for a partially painted wall.

I also don't really like the wall-o-cart in your other pictures but I don't have a great idea for how to change that beyond swapping it for chemical tanks or something. Overall your buildings' structure looks good so with more work on details you'll have a great entry.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  15. Smasher006

Positive Ratings:
    Thanks for that. I'll take the point on the BLU spawn into consideration, and as for the storage wall I'll be editing parts of it with crates so it isn't quite so samey on ll the levels.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  16. Exist

Exist L6: Sharp Member

Positive Ratings:
    Performance wise, all those payloads are not a good idea. Each Payload is 11k polys, multiply by how ever many you got there and you have a pretty laggy scene. Maybe instead of it being an active factory, it can be run down, where there would only be 3 or 4 payloads left in the factory.

Also, explosive ending is a must.us

17. Smasher006

Positive Ratings:
    Update.
    I've been away for a while so I haven't had the chance to do much, but here's what I've been working on.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

18. Jetti

Jetti L5: Dapper Member

Positive Ratings:
    BLU spawn still needs paint props, wet paint overlays, and something to stop players from going in that half-constructed side building. Other than that it looks nice! The payload factory also looks good!

19. re1wind

aa re1wind

Positive Ratings:
    The red bombcart ontop of the wooden crate somehow doesn't quite work.