CP artpass Huckle

Nov 14, 2009
In you third and fourth screenshot, you have the light being broken up in such a beautiful way. How did you do this?

Huckle

L3: Member
May 31, 2010
In you third and fourth screenshot, you have the light being broken up in such a beautiful way. How did you do this?

It's pretty easy, just add a light and give it a constant component so it shines forever and lower your lightmap scale to increase shadow contrast. For that one I think it's something like a 2000 brightness light with constant 1 and quadratic 1 (maybe 2:1). I've also pointed the light away from the wall a bit so it doesn't give an excessive highlight on the wall where it's located. For lightmap scale, 8 will do for most cases (think it does in this one) though I'm using 4 in one or two locations.

Then it's just about adding func_detail stairs that cast nice-looking shadows.

Draco18s

L9: Fashionable Member
Sep 19, 2009
Ah, yes, I can see it now. But yeah. Most roofs don't do things like that, especially when the higher roofs have fences on them, the lower one should too.

Also make one of those windows you can't get to a door, or add a door, so you can "get" to that location from inside the building.

Huckle

May 31, 2010
Again with the mini-updates. Instead of picking either a red or blue theme I'm currently trying out more neutral grey-ish textures. Unfortunately the texture switches look pretty bad without changing all the environment settings (skybox lighting and fog) so deciding on one would help out a lot for the cap 2 area lighting.

I've mostly been working on the attacker spawn as well as cap 2.

Feedback on the point_spotlights entities would also be nice. I feel like using them everywhere makes the map unfocused since there's so much white but using them on only a few of the lights makes it look inconsistent instead.

Attacker spawn inside, a warehouse construction site.
artpass_huckle0001.jpg

Attacker spawn outside, looking mostly as it has for a long time. If anyone has a suggestion for textures I'm all for it. I haven't found one yet I like and mixing and matching two different ones haven't quite been working out for me either.
artpass_huckle0002-1.jpg

Leading to A, now in gray. I've made the window the ramp leads to into a door as well now, hopefully it looks better (not shown in screenshot)
artpass_huckle0004-1.jpg

Capture point B, the trainstation. Looking a bit too dark still, I think I should just remove a few of the lights and add a couple of strong ones, it's starting to look a bit haphazard with all the different models and highlights.
artpass_huckle0009-2.jpg

Huckle

May 31, 2010
The daily (?) update: trying to work on the transition between A and B. I'm still not happy at all with this area but I feel that the building on the occluder-wall is coming out OK. The small hut on the train side and the other building still looks mostly like crap though, I gotta get some inspiration to improve those.

I've been doing some experiments with C but I still got to work on the entrance/facade next to B. I'm starting to get quite satisfied with the architecture of B even though the lighting is still a bit off.

artpass_huckle0006.jpg

artpass_huckle0004-2.jpg

Oh and if you want less updates for less spam in forum, just let me know.

Tinker

aa
Oct 30, 2008
No, this many updates is wonderful, progress is always nice to see. You have a nice and original theme going, keep it up.

Huckle

May 31, 2010
I'm slowly (?) losing my mind over this area, I'm on my third look. First just concrete, then well-style brick and now a bit of angular houses. I just can't get it to look any decent at all.

The right side is decent enough at the moment, the left side houses have been changed since my last compile. In the middle (top) I'm trying to do a skybox optimization, showing the roofs on both sides with a skybox between them but I can't get it to come out any good either (also needs more detailing). If anyone has any good links with this except Roofs, Skybox brushes... please post them. It's not a big problem since it's currently high enough that it's unlikely that anyone ever gets there but still. Neat is nice.

I guess I could just use an areaportal and then hint over the top to block visibility, it's just not as cool. :)

C house entry area:
artpass_huckle0000.jpg

Huckle

May 31, 2010
I'm still not happy with the passage to the inside room but I'm just going to add a couple of windows and be happy with this. Can't get hung up on one area too long, I gotta fix something for C as well (and the entire 3d skybox).

I hope it's a little better.

artpass_huckle0001-1.jpg

Gooba

L2: Junior Member
Jul 24, 2010
Hey man, I made a paintover of your last screenshot of things I thought would help/fix some issues I had with it. I hope thats okay. I also realize that I didn't so the greatest job, but I dont have much time right now. :|

Anyways, I hope it helps, good luck.

artpass_huckle0001-2.jpg

Before:
artpass_huckle0001-1.jpg

Huckle

May 31, 2010
Hey man, I made a paintover of your last screenshot of things I thought would help/fix some issues I had with it. I hope thats okay. I also realize that I didn't so the greatest job, but I dont have much time right now. :|

Anyways, I hope it helps, good luck.

That's some great painting right there, thanks man. I'm definitely going to take some from the ventilation house and the sewer grate on the left side. My biggest issue though is that none of my attempts so far has managed to do well with incorporating a red theme into my geometry without looking all out of place. It just looks a tad too much like a blue factory though that might just be my conditioning from other maps.

I'm also trying to add some detailing for nice shadows which is pretty hard without getting too much detail in the playing area.

Huckle

May 31, 2010
Finally time for some more progress. I've mostly been working on the area indoors around C as well as the 3D skybox. I'm thinking it's starting to look pretty alright even if there is a problem with having it loook a lot like everybody elses map. There are only so many red spytech props and textures.

C exterior (?). Still not happy with it but I'll have to save that for the second pass I guess.
artpass_huckle0000-1.jpg

Upstairs entrance with big window in the roof.
artpass_huckle0001-2.jpg

Continuation of upstairs entrance (down the steep stairs). I'll have to do something about the windows but I'm generally quite happy with the film reels.
artpass_huckle0004-3.jpg

C. It's currently too bright but the general layout is as it should be. My plan is for the C platform to be an elevator, the goal of taking it is to be able to get down to the lower levels.
artpass_huckle0008-1.jpg

Jetti

L5: Dapper Member
May 2, 2010
Those terminal chairs look a little monotonous, the way they are positioned exactly in front of the console room computers.

Huckle

May 31, 2010
Time for some more pictures! I've been doing some rollback, reversing to some of the houses on the blue spawn side of the occluder wall back into bluer textures, the white ones are just too bright.

Blue spawn view, I just think it's better in blue:
artpass_huckle0001-3.jpg

B, I'm just shamelessely posting a picture of this area again because I really love the lighting.
artpass_huckle0002-2.jpg

C house upper entrance. I'm still not quite sure what to do with the pipe area here. The pipes themselves look OK but I'm not happy with the texture transition between the concrete outside and the spytech red inside.
artpass_huckle0003-1.jpg

Red spawn. Pretty classic theme, I've considered expanding the room but I'm not quite sure what I want to put in the extra available space yet. I've got a semi-open door on the side not shown that leads out into an alley to add some continuation.
artpass_huckle0007.jpg

C house lower entrance. It's too gray as it is now but as with red spawn, I just don't know quite what kind of colors to spice it up. I want to go with blue but I don't think it fits.
artpass_huckle0008-2.jpg

C room itself with a bit of an overdose of spotlights on the walls. I've been thinking of making the C platform an actual elevator that goes down to level 2 when blue wins but I'm not sure if I can do it or if it's a good idea.
artpass_huckle0006-1.jpg

Draco18s

Sep 19, 2009
I've been thinking of making the C platform an actual elevator that goes down to level 2 when blue wins but I'm not sure if I can do it or if it's a good idea.

It obviously needs to plummet into the depths, killing everyone standing on the point.

</reference to every payload map ever killing more winners than losers>

Huckle

May 31, 2010
It obviously needs to plummet into the depths, killing everyone standing on the point.

</reference to every payload map ever killing more winners than losers>

While I suppose this would add consistency with regard to other maps, I don't feel much like killing players for no good reason (like jumping into a "bottomless" pit). I'd rather do it to add detailing and a reason for the C platform to exist at all.

It's also a way to not use the rocket explosion, I think there will be enough artpass entries with that as it is. :)

Draco18s

Sep 19, 2009
Oh, I agree. I've always wished there was a little bit of delay on the payload explosions just so that the winners can go do some humiliation kills.

Huckle

May 31, 2010
I actually never got the whole griefing part of the game. To me that's just something other people do, like enjoying random criticals.

I'm not quite sure if people would get angry if the elevator went down a floor, keeping them from killing the defenseless reds or if it was actually possible to create a room down there that made them go "oh, cool!" instead and forget about gibbing other players for a couple of seconds.

Draco18s

Sep 19, 2009
I'm not into the griefing thing either, but it is part of the game that the winners can kill the losers with impunity. Just with payload maps the only way you get to have that "fun" is by not being anywhere near the cart (aka not helping your team).

Anyway, a room down below would be cool.

Last edited: