Artpass Grim Tuesday

Nov 14, 2009
Alright, I dont have Hammer with me right now, but by popular demand, I will move the rocket up when I get home. I realize the spelling error, but its gona stay unless someone can make me a new sig. Im on a photosopless mac for the next week, but as you may read in the vip section, I will try to get my laptop fixed up for some hammering this week.

combine

L3: Member
Apr 21, 2010
I am liking where this is going.

eyefork

L3: Member
Oct 27, 2008
I made you a new signature.

RqxmU.jpg

Nov 14, 2009
I guess it can suffice until tomorow...

but the font.

is.

so.

bad.

I cant do it. It would be like forking my eye. Il make a new one tomrow. Promise.

Beamos

L2: Junior Member
May 14, 2008
Oh no, not comic sans! :(

Nov 14, 2009
Progress!
School has started, and I will have less time for mapping. I hope I can finish, but if I dont, I had fun, and I cant wait to make a space theme arena map! Il also release all textures used for the public.

So, to preface these screenshots: I have done the basic texturing and brushing for B. Im still doing lighting, and fine detailing (pipes, etc...)

artpass_valvebase50032.jpg

artpass_valvebase50033.jpg

artpass_valvebase50040.jpg

artpass_valvebase50035.jpg

I'd let you see into B, but its way too WIP to do that. People would bitch about it looking like crap, because it does.

My current game plan is for the next week to be devoted to fine detailing C and A, and then the week after that, I will go back to B, and do fine detailing on the coridoors.

Trey's satellite is much more evident in-game, since all my detail rooms at B are sattelite manufacturing facilities.
That and fix my signature. I think I'l make it one of the B screenshots

Last edited:

re1wind

aa
Aug 12, 2009
you are correct, it does look ugly. :p

it also feels rather cold, sterile, uninviting, and too clean for tf2. Those rounded roofs also look a bit strange (displacement?), the ceiling is crap, and why is there a red B? Bis associated with Blu. :-\

J4CK8

L11: Posh Member
Mar 4, 2009
I love the style of this map, but point B seems very bare on the floors so far. I know you said you haven't really done any detailing to this area yet but the large floor outside of B in screenshot 2 is very flat and boring. Also the capture point building, will that be slightly rounded like the two buildings near it? Kinda looks a bit flat as well to me.

Point C looks great, haven't really seen much of point A though. But I'm looking forward to seeing its final state :)

Nov 14, 2009
Point B has some stuff in the works, namely hallways under the floor. That shoudl hopefully fix all its problems *crosses fingers*

Im working on the hallways outside of C, and this is about an hours worth of work: Which lighting do you like better?
artpass_valvebase50043.jpg

artpass_valvebase50045.jpg

Please disregard the specular in the second screen, I was in so much of a hurry, I cordoned out all my cubemaps!

Beamos

L2: Junior Member
May 14, 2008
Curious, do you have any plans on making a new patch overlay to match your theme? The old stock one contrasts with your theme, imo...

For lighting, definitely the second one.

Tinker

aa
Oct 30, 2008
While the first one focuses on the starry outside sky and gives it more atmosphere, the second lights the much more important gameplay areas. Go with that.

Draco18s

L9: Fashionable Member
Sep 19, 2009
I agree with Tinker, but you could pull the brightness down about a third of the difference you could achieve a middle ground between the two: still reasonably bright for gameplay, but dark enough to highlight the sky.

Dhy

L1: Registered
Mar 22, 2009
I'm huge fan of space theme, can't wait to see the whole map finished.

I especially love the white textures (floors and walls), looks very nice and sanitized as a strange not so sci-fi space pod should be.

To answer your question, the second option seems to be the best choice considering the lack of visibility of the first one.

Anyway, this looks very good, cheers !

Nov 14, 2009
I'm huge fan of space theme, can't wait to see the whole map finished.

I especially love the white textures (floors and walls), looks very nice and sanitized as a strange not so sci-fi space pod should be.

To answer your question, the second option seems to be the best choice considering the lack of visibility of the first one.

Anyway, this looks very good, cheers !

Im flattered to be your first post! You are the first person to compliment my floors, so thank you!

In other news, I spent the whole evening listening to different songs for the contest video, so I didnt work on my map. At all. Even though I kept hammer opened, and kept on alt tabbing to it.