Argh! Stupid Hammer!

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by 404UNF, Dec 10, 2010.

1. 404UNF

404UNF No longer a "TF2 Beta/Cut Content Historian".

Positive Ratings:
    I've been trying to compile & run a map I'm making for half an hour now, and it keeps giving me a popup error about "The system cannot find the file specified".

I've tried compiling the maps VMF file with VBCT, and that didnt work either. Same general error. System cannot find blah blah blah.

Here's the compile log from my map.

Code:
    ** Executing...
    ** Command: "c:\program files\steam\steamapps\404usernotfound\sourcesdk\bin\orangebox\bin\vbsp.exe"
    ** Parameters: -game "c:\program files\steam\steamapps\404usernotfound\team fortress 2\tf" "C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\404usernotfound\sourcesdk_content\tf\mapsrc\404test.vmf"

Valve Software - vbsp.exe (Jul  7 2010)
    2 threads
    materialPath: c:\program files\steam\steamapps\404usernotfound\team fortress 2\tf\materials
    Loading C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\404usernotfound\sourcesdk_content\tf\mapsrc\404test.vmf
    Patching WVT material: maps/404test/dev/dev_blendmeasure_wvt_patch
    Patching WVT material: maps/404test/brick/blendcobbletocobblesnow001_wvt_patch
    fixing up env_cubemap materials on brush sides...
    ProcessBlock_Thread: 0...1...2...3...4...5...6...7...8...9...10 (0)
    ProcessBlock_Thread: 0...1...2...3...4...5...6...7...8...9...10 (0)
    Processing areas...done (0)
    Building Faces...done (0)
    Chop Details...done (0)
    Find Visible Detail Sides...
    Merged 54 detail faces...done (0)
    Merging details...done (0)
    FixTjuncs...
    PruneNodes...
    WriteBSP...
    HashVec: point outside valid range

** Executing...
    ** Command: "c:\program files\steam\steamapps\404usernotfound\sourcesdk\bin\orangebox\bin\vvis.exe"
    ** Parameters: -game "c:\program files\steam\steamapps\404usernotfound\team fortress 2\tf" "C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\404usernotfound\sourcesdk_content\tf\mapsrc\404test"

Valve Software - vvis.exe (Jul  7 2010)
    2 threads
    reading c:\program files\steam\steamapps\404usernotfound\sourcesdk_content\tf\mapsrc\404test.bsp
    Error opening c:\program files\steam\steamapps\404usernotfound\sourcesdk_content\tf\mapsrc\404test.bsp

** Executing...
    ** Command: "c:\program files\steam\steamapps\404usernotfound\sourcesdk\bin\orangebox\bin\vrad.exe"
    ** Parameters:  -game "c:\program files\steam\steamapps\404usernotfound\team fortress 2\tf" "C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\404usernotfound\sourcesdk_content\tf\mapsrc\404test"

Valve Software - vrad.exe SSE (Jul  7 2010)

Valve Radiosity Simulator    
    2 threads
    [Reading texlights from 'lights.rad']
    [34 texlights parsed from 'lights.rad']

Loading c:\program files\steam\steamapps\404usernotfound\sourcesdk_content\tf\mapsrc\404test.bsp
    Error opening c:\program files\steam\steamapps\404usernotfound\sourcesdk_content\tf\mapsrc\404test.bsp

** Executing...
    ** Command: Copy File
    ** Parameters: "C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\404usernotfound\sourcesdk_content\tf\mapsrc\404test.bsp" "c:\program files\steam\steamapps\404usernotfound\team fortress 2\tf\maps\404test.bsp"

The command failed. Windows reported the error:
      "The system cannot find the file specified."

What....the hell....do I do? At the risk of sounding like an 80's/90's movie rip-off, I'M MAD AS HELL AND I'M NOT GONNA TAKE IT ANYMORE!

Last edited: Dec 10, 2010
  2. PL-7764

PL-7764 L6: Sharp Member

Positive Ratings:
    If ever you have a compiling problem, a great step is to run the log through this Hammer error lookup page and see if it finds anything wrong. Which, running yours, it did, for this line:

Their info:

3. 404UNF

Positive Ratings:
    1. Thank you for that wonderful link. Bookmarked for future use.

2. That's exactly what I've got going on in my map! Here's the topdown view of my map (or what I've gotten done so far):

[​IMG]

What I'm trying to do is make the map so that when someones in one room (separate from the rest of the map), they don't hear sounds of gunfire or footsteps from one of the other separate areas.

In that topdown view, the area on the topleft is the foresty CTF area I'm working on. I'm using this Sniper Tower prefab (comes with bunker beside the tower) from FPSBanana, one on each side of the map, and I'm gonna fill the middle with trees, and add playerclip brushes to the tree trunk and covering the trees foliage, making sure to leave enough room for any class to run in between the trees.

The reason why I placed the area in that corner is, I was gonna place separate areas in each corner, hoping that they would be far away enough to not hear sounds coming from the other areas, which is a problem my current map suffers from. I don't know of any sound-stopping brushes.

4. Ravidge

aa Ravidge Grand Vizier

Positive Ratings:
    I doubt you need a distance of 30000 units for that, remember that hitscan bullets don't even travel past 8192 units. You stop rendering stuff somewhere between 3000 and 4000 units away iirc (at least vertically).

5. PL-7764

Positive Ratings:
    As you have it now, the brushes being that close to the edge is and will continue to be 100% fatal to the compile process. Sound doesn't travel too outrageously far in TF2 - there are some stock maps where you can't hear combat from across the map. The Hammer grid is a cube 32,768 units in any direction, which is much more than you should ever need. You ought to be able to move things a bit closer to the center (maybe ~10,000 units apart for multiple separate spaces) to eliminate the existing error and still keep things isolated. ;)

6. 404UNF

Positive Ratings:
    Well I'm making this new map for my server (still gonna be an achievement map, but less emphasis on idling, and abit more emphasis on trading), and I want to do things right.

The CTF forest area won't have walls surrounding it, but I figured encasing the area in playerclip brushes, and adding fence props around the entire area, plus a skybox of some sort should make it look like an outdoor foresty area.

Problem is I don't know how to set a skybox that doesn't need skybox props and such. I figure I could load up one of the Valve map VMF's, find the skybox, turn it into a prefab, and load the prefab into my map. Then a simple stretch to make it fit around my CTF area, double check the Valve map for any skybox related stuff, copy anything over, and hopefully that works.

100% chance I fail at it though.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2010
  7. PL-7764

Positive Ratings:
    Use the toolsskybox2d texture to just have the 2D skybox with no 3D. (Using the regular skybox texture and simply not making a 3D skybox works too. :p)