A question about hint brushes and areaportals

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by cornontheCoD, May 4, 2008.

1. cornontheCoD

cornontheCoD L7: Fancy Member

Positive Ratings:
    Im a noob to TF2 mapping, and I am starting a map soon. I was wondering if I need to put in areaportals and hint brushes as im mapping, or if I can just wait until the basic layout is done to start learning in-depth about those things

also, which go on horizontal brushes and which go on vertical brushes for the orange textures?

2. R3dRuM

R3dRuM L6: Sharp Member

Positive Ratings:
    wait till basic layout is done is what i normally do for the hints and are portals.

Vertical are the orange textures, horizontal are the grey ones

3. Open Blade

Open Blade L7: Fancy Member

Positive Ratings:
    I found that if you design your map right, streamline your portal flow, use func detail where you should as well as nodraw, you really don't need hints. Even a perfectly used hint brush still can cause gaming issues. Sometimes players are not seen quite as fast as without a hint. Try building your map smartly using what I said above before adding hints and stuff. You might find that you don't even need them. That's just my 2 cents.

4. Vilepickle

Vilepickle L7: Fancy Member

Positive Ratings:
    Even if your layout is good enough it's smart to add them in obvious places, because the engine usually renders more than it needs to regardless of layout.