72-Hour Mapping Contest #2 Judging Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

littleedge

L1111: Clipping Guru
aa
Mar 2, 2009
1) pl_ym: A finished map in 72 hours - good job. Doesn't play like shit. I had fun.
2) plr_supersandvich: Neat geometry, doesn't play too bad. I probably had the most fun in this map, while the above was just more overall greatness.
3) cp_frozen: Pumping out three stages in 72 hours - good job. Is surprisingly not bad. Experiences Dustbowl syndrome a bit, and the issues you already know about are why this gets third.

Ezekel

L11: Posh Member
Dec 16, 2008
1st: Leminnes
2nd: frozen
3rd: swordfish

leminnes' map flows nicely overall. and was just the map i enjoyed playing the most out of the finalists. the asthetics also help to create a good atmosphere as well.
i still feel though that some of the texturing choices could use some more thought/work (e.g. that shack near blu spawn with the opening in it, why does the wood beams randomly change direction beneath it from the rest of the shack's walls?)

frozen's map is a nicely done bit of game play space. detailing needs to be worked out, and some areas need better accessibility between them (i'm thinking 2-1 and 2-2 here), also i'd say it's perhaps a lil compressed and could use a little elongating in places (e.g. the last point is almost right up against the building that's in front of it).
i enjoyed playing this and it never felt that blu was being locked down by red.

leswordfish's map is another map that i feel plays quite nicely, and the asthetics help set the mood quite nicely.
my only niggle here is how easy it is for pyro's to airblast camp the access paths over the cliff.

also: a well done to everyone else. there's quite a few maps that i would've liked to have voted for, and it was hard to pick out 3 from them all.
i hope we'll be seeing a 3rd 72 hr contest at some point :)

Vulpes

L1: Registered
Jul 13, 2011
1: cp_ezekel_72_1
2: pl_ravidge_72
3: cp_frozen_72

Ezekel: A very steel-esque map, I enjoyed the detailing and unique feel to each cap area, the last point (E) especially with the open free-for-all feel that lends itself to the desparation of both sides to defend or attack whilst avoiding the deadly pool below the point, I would however note that it's very slightly confusing in directions to take but also admit that the map should not be plastered with indications of where to go, it would feel very slightly patronising otherwise. Fun to play and pleasant on the eyes.

Ravidge: While I slightly admit I'm giving a little extra credit for the fact that medieval payload is an interesting idea to me, I genuinely enjoyed the gameplay, the distance between points seemed a little too long but of course I forgot medieval mode plays a little different. Love the cart design!

Frozen: A relatively simplistic design but one that really lends itself to the game mode, I don't want complicated map designs where the creator thinks they're being smart by making layouts as complicated as possible so this is a lovely surprise.

Boylee

pew pew pew
aa
Apr 29, 2008
1. pl_leminnes_72
2. cp_ezekel_72
3. cp_fr0z3n_72

Leminnes: Loved this map, had a blast playing on it, last point was a little bit of a long haul but overall balance seemed pretty spot on. This is the sort of compact pl map that is good for filling servers, games are short, not stalematey but still offer enough variety to keep ppl coming back. Simply a good fun map and the one I enjoyed most, good work.

Ezekel: Possibly the most daring of all the entries. Taking on the steel style cp layout is brave indeed, esp. since so many people dislike it. I am not one of those people though, and I commend you for giving it a shot. I enjoyed the map a lot but there are some major balance issues around the first (may have been second, it's been a while) and last points. However the setting is perfect for this sort of cp map and you already have a clear artistic direction. This has the potential to be great, just finish it and don't rush, testing will make or break this map.

Fr0z3n: Once again, not a particularly innovative layout but boy does it play well. Another entry that was just plain fun to play and hence is a no-brainer to vote for. I have to say I'm impressed with the sheer bulk of mapping you've gotten done. There's a couple of areas that would benefit from a touch more space to combat spam traps on the points but otherwise this was a triumph.

pockypencils

Jul 16, 2011
1. pl_leminnes_72
2. cp_hanz_72
3. cp_frozen_72

1. Had a good layout, only one or two clipping issues. It was a fun map and, even though it was a little confusing to navigate through at first, it's easy to get the hang of and there are good camping spots for Snipers and Engineers, yet there is still access to them for a fair fight. Also like the dropoff at the end, fun way to die.

2. Fun, simple, and straight-forward. Easy to navigate to get to the action fast. Not a lot of creative content, but it was fuuuuuun.

3. A lot of work for 72 hours. Very impressive and a good layout. Loved the individual stages.

ElectricPhantom

Jun 30, 2011
1: pl_leminnes_72
2: cp_hanz_72
3: cp_ezekel_72_1

Leminnes: Gorgeous map, eye candy to the extreme. I love that although it's fairly short, it's a bucket full of challenging fun to get past those natural points of skirmish. The effects added to the, well, overall effect (I.E. the thunder sound and the lighting). It was a bit short and I would have loved a longer experience, though.

Hanz: This was the first map I played during the play testing and I immediately had fun. It may not have had the detail a few other maps had, but it was grand ol' time playing and I was actually disappointed when it came time to shift away to another map. A bit too straight-forward, but it got it's job done.

Ezekel: A very interesting map; one that is difficult to forget, that's for sure. The effects at the end point are stunning. However, the difficulty to get to said end point was also stunning. It needed more signs, though.

Good luck all.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.