13 keys if you fix a laggy map

Zak[DZ]

L1: Registered
Feb 1, 2022
Basically plr_highertower_extended is a map that has issues that cause frame drops.
I theorized it could be :
-the too many lightening brushes added
-too many areaportal brushes
-the fact that the map renders as of whole, from the very top to the bottom and from each corner to the other you can view it all with no render distance restrictions.
I also need you to fix a bug in red spawn where theres a tiny area that players could build in and to make the map more connected and less isolated , as theres spots where ladders and routes must be added .
Heres the map :
Reach out to me here or on discord : Zak[DZ]#4524

Kyno

Nov 3, 2021
do you not know how to optimize?? there's really good tutorials on youtube +there is already hightower extended maps on the workshop

worMatty

Repacking Evangelist
aa
Jul 22, 2014
The frame rate drop is very likely due to how much is being rendered the higher and higher you get up the tower. As you said, you can see everything below.

I did some testing and found that the area portals in the bases work as they should. I don't know about any other area portals, but I see from an edict dump there are 119. I was only expecting to see around 20 max. I suppose you used them too liberally on the tower? I didn't bother to check using r_drawareaportals.

At the top of the tower, my framerate went down into the 80s confirming what you said about everything being drawn. This would also cause all the players out in the open to be drawn for clients up there, so the server would increase the network data being sent to them as well.

I suggest adding func_occluders embedded in the platforms at the first third, and second third of the tower. This should help to cull anything the player can 'see' below them through the platforms.

2022-03-09_13-42-01.png

A more detailed analysis and testing would be more work than I'm willing to put in. When you test I suggest you enable net_graph 4 in console and record video of the session so people can identify hotspots of lag/fps loss. Testing with other players is better than alone. I don't expect any payment for these observations.

Here's a good guide on visibility optimisation. Since you can't do anything to the layout, you'd want to focus on visleaves, area portals and occluders.

As a side note there was an error in console repeated many times. It would seem you have an entity with no classname, or an entity with a classname not recognised by TF2. It probably won't cause any issues but it's best to investigate it:
Code:
Attempted to create unknown entity type !
Can't init

Zak[DZ]

Feb 1, 2022
@worMatty Thanks for the evaluation and help , however I have zero experience in mapping as this is not my map ; I was hoping someone would take on the matter of fixing it for the said prize of 13 keys and i could probably roll out more if anyone is willing to properly fix it, if you know anyone that could be willing to take the offered prize please let me know . Once again , Huge Thank You for the evaluation , will probably result back to it if i fail to get any help externally <3 .

worMatty

Repacking Evangelist
aa
Jul 22, 2014
I'll share your request with my fellow mappers.

Kyno

Nov 3, 2021
@worMatty Thanks for the evaluation and help , however I have zero experience in mapping as this is not my map ; I was hoping someone would take on the matter of fixing it for the said prize of 13 keys and i could probably roll out more if anyone is willing to properly fix it, if you know anyone that could be willing to take the offered prize please let me know . Once again , Huge Thank You for the evaluation , will probably result back to it if i fail to get any help externally <3 .
oh that makes more sense,good luck finding someone, I love the extended hightower maps their pretty fun so hopefully you find someone willing to do so