* Current version rc3 * (January 11th 2011)
This is RedShip, Basic Edition.
1 Payload that BLU must push until the end to win. Suits all types of TF2 players, but is aimed at a more casual audience.
Same visuals and general gameplay than the DC edition, but without objectives to destroy and only 1 type of payload: the regular Bomb.
For the Director's Cut version (with 3 payloads and objectives to destroy, for advanced players) go to:
Bug report, suggestions or some mad love you need to share?
Here's a video walkthrough of the map's Director's Cut edition:
RedShip (Basic and DC editions)
1- Installation instructions
2- Mission Briefing - Director's Cut
3- More info about the Director's Cut
4- Contact me
5- Changelog for rc3
====== Installation instructions ======
Extract the map file (pl_redship_rc3.bsp) from the .ZIP directly into the "maps" folder of your Team Fortress 2 installation.
By default, this folder is located at
C:\Program Files\Steam\SteamApps\(your account name)\Team Fortress 2\tf\maps
Just double-click the .ZIP file, once you see the content of the .ZIP file, click and drag pl_redship_rc3.bsp (or pl_redship_dc_rc3.bsp for the DC edition) into the above mentioned maps folder. If you see a message saying it already exists, just click YES to overwrite it. This file is from the original author so you can use it and overwrite any existing previously downloaded file.
If you tried installing it with the above instructions and it didn't work, just do like with most custom maps you already have: join a server that runs pl_redship_rc3 and the file will be downloaded and placed at the correct location for you.
If you see a message that says the maps you have and the one the server have differs, delete pl_redship_rc3.bsp from the maps folder and rejoin a server running the map to redownload it.
====== MISSION BRIEFING ======
2209 - Planet Earth is now the host of well over 100 billion human beings. She is suffocating. 75 years after the creation of the first permanent spaceship, we are still looking for another home... not made of aluminum, titanium and australium. While some spaceships are populated by people happy to be living away from planet Earth, most of the ships are used for alternative resources or inhabitable planet search missions. Scientists, environmentalists, politicians and even law enforcement agencies have their own ship and work together towards the same goal: finding Earth 2.0.
The Biosphere Legislation Unit (BLU) have been monitoring the activities of environmentalists for the last 25 years. By respecting their cause and making sure nothing is done to harm the very planets activists protect and by supporting them on the political front, they've assured a climate of cooperation and respect between both parties for the well being of rare or near-instinct resources found on some potentially inhabitable planets. Recently, a group of suspicious activists calling themselves the Recycling-Environment-Development group (RED) have been reported to be secretly harvesting rare ressources found on those planets, and this, under false pretences.
They claim that their observation and information collecting activities help in documenting and in the preservation of rare resources, which is true. We now know that RED's supposedly secondary cause, the search for new inhabitable planets, is in fact their main objective. It has cost them a lot and have put them in a difficult financial position but it seems RED won't stop at anything to reach their goal. They are suspected of utilizing the very rare resources they claim to protect as an efficient alternative fuel for their outdated spaceship technology. The reward for finding a new home would be gigantic and bring a lot of money, new state-of-the-art spaceships and fame. Details about their true whereabouts are documented inside RedShip's computers. BLU has been ordered to seize RedShip and find the truth about RED's illegal use of this galaxy's valuable resources.
REDSHIP is under attack!
RED : Save your crew and your ship
by defending the objectives.
Get outside and prevent the
BLU from invading the ship!
BLU : Take control of REDSHIP by
destroying key objectives
located on the ship. Make
your way inside RedShip and
get to the ship's core.
Destroy it to take commands.
BLU has prepared an assault on
RED's main sky base, "REDSHIP 450".
Their objective is to take posse-
ssion of it and hack its computers.
BLU plan on getting inside the ship
by neutralizing the cargo bay shield,
then to progress inside towards the
engine room, section by section.
Key objectives are located in each
section and destroying them will
grant access to the next section
until the engine room is reached.
If BLU succeed in destroying the Core,
they will take command of RedShip.
Will RED let them do this?
========== MORE INFORMATION about the DC edition ============
RedShip is a two part map that consists of Stage 1: The Assault during which the BLU team assaults RedShip in order to take possession of it, and Stage 2: The Retake, where the RED team tries to take back their ship.
RedShip is different from a regular payload map from its objectives that must be destroyed/defended.
You have to push a cart like in any other payload map, but RedShip randomly choses 1 from 3 different types of payload. (see below)
There's also 3 different possible atmospheres for the map: a sunny day up above the clouds, low-gravity space or sunset time above the lake on an unknown planet. They can play to your advantage depending on the class you play.
Sometimes you'll also have environmental objects to destroy that block your way or to unlock a path to help your team.
For the BLU team:
- Objectives are marked by yellow icons as seen on some of the screenshots. You must destroy these objectives.
- Each objective destroyed gives you 2 points and adds extra time for your team.
- The core gives you 3 points once destroyed.
- BLU cannot open locked vents to get inside RedShip unless the consoles in the Cargo room (objectives) are destroyed which will permanently open them.
- Like usually, pushing the cart gives you points, and reaching a capture point will reward you with points and extra time. Objectives that have been destroyed add extra time on top of the extra points mentioned above.
- If the playload you must push is the RE Cart (radioactive emission cart), you can activate it every 2 minutes. Once activated, the RE cart will start releasing radioactive emissions for a short period of time. During this time, only the RED team can get hurt by it. When the RE cart is ready and can be activated again, its antenna will start blinking and a message will show on-screen. This payload will not self-destruct when arriving at the final destination, the BLU team must use it strategically to get to the Core of RedShip, then destroy the Core manually using standard firepower.
- The "assault cart" (super sentry) has a level 1 super sentry mounted on it. The super sentry cannot be upgraded, although invulnerable, can still be disabled with the use of sappers (spy). This payload will not self-destruct when arriving at the final destination, the BLU team must use it strategically to get to the Core of RedShip, then destroy the Core manually using standard firepower.
- If the payload is a normal bomb (standard self-destructive bomb), the BLU team won't get any advantage during the battle. This payload will self-destruct when arriving at the final destination. The explosion will cause a localized but very powerful detonation that will destroy the Core and any players nearby.
- Each payload type include a super dispenser. This special dispenser acts like normal dispenser: it heals and resupplies like a level 3 dispenser, buy is invulnerable and cannot be sapped.
For the RED team:
- Protect the objectives to prevent the BLU team from advancing and getting extra time.
- RedShip is in lockdown when you start a match, so you can't use the vents to get outside. Only RedShip's teleporters can get you outside unless their powerboxes are destroyed (objectives outside) which will leave your team confined but protected inside the ship. BLU will then make its way inside by destroying the shield. As the game progresses and the BLU team destroys objectives, vents will get unlocked and free to be used by both teams to get in and out of RedShip more easily.
- During stage 2 (if the BLU team succeeded in capturing RedShip) The RED team will become the attacking team. The payload for the RED team will be the assault cart with a super sentry just like the one the BLU team can have.
- During stage 2, level 3 Super Sentries outside are guarding the RED spawn area. They can be sapped. If you do not have an engineer keeping an eye out for spies, your spawn area might get compromised and you could suffer a great deal of casualties and waste a lot of time.
The flamethrower does NOT damage objectives. Neither do the baseball (the bat itself does damage) and the jarate. Melee weapons, on the other hand, are very effective.
====== Contact me ======
Email me for any bug report or suggestions.
Your comments are essential for making this map better.
====== Changelog release candidate 3 (rc3) ======
- RedShip is now available in 2 flavors: the Basic edition (this version) and the Director's Cut edition.
- There is only one type of payload now for the basic edition: the bomb cart.
- There are no more objectives to destroy: just push the cart 'till the end and BOOM!
- Consequently, BLU cannot destroy the Core by shooting it in the basic edition. Only the bomb can destroy it.
- Added message about 2 different versions of the map at the start of a round.
- BLU ship is now at the front of RedShip for simpler and more straight forward gameplay purposes.
- BLU ship gameplay and structural changes to accomodate the fact that it's closer and easier to access for RED.
- The dispenser AND bomb now display an outline that can be seen through walls for easily locating the bomb while playing.
- Fixed a lot of tiny little bugs and visual glitches.
====== Changelog release candidate 2 (rc2) ======
- Gameplay improvements in term of flow and team balancing.
- Improved the visuals by adding more detail and models.
- Added displaying of hits left to destroy the Red Shield.
- The Super dispenser on the cart is now glowing and can be seen through walls, like on regular payload maps. The other cart parts do not, intentionally.
- Added an opening in the sniper vent (above the Cargo room) so it's not a "dead end" anymore and is another way inside the ship.
- Reduced number of console in CIC room from 8 to 4. (balancing was made accordingly) I know I should've done it earlier...
- Added shield model for every super sentry in the map making their invulnerability more obvious.
- Automated doors now open sooner, further away from the player.
- Fixed a bug where BLU team could destroy the Core by shooting at it and blowing it up using the Bomb Cart bugging the gameplay.
- Removed all easter eggs (arrgg) because of the new model limit of the Mann-conomy update.
- Slight performance improvements in some spots.
- Some visual bugs fixed.
- Added win messages to connect the gameplay to the backstory. (...a bit)
- Tweaked the FTL jump effect of the spaceship in the skybox
- If all is good, this will be the final version of RedShip. (after a recompile and proper naming, of course.)
====== Changelog release candidate 1 (rc1) ======
- Red spawn: added a floor trap that allows access to the engine room in addition to the stairs.
- Extra time is now given for capping a point.
- Less respawn time for BLU during stage 2.
- Lowered RedShip teleporters powerboxes (objectives) so that they are easier to see and destroy with melee weapons.
- It's now impossible to destroy objectives by prematurely going in the next room. They won't take damage anymore until they are the active objectives.
- Core protective bars: removed weapon projectile collisions. Players can stand on the protective bars, but projectiles will go through them.
- RedShip: made the lower side vents easier to enter in from the outside.
- Added visual attractor for RedShip vents outside. It's now easy to tell where they are and that they exist.
- Fixed a bug where low-gravity would remain if stage 1 was space, and stage 2 wasn't.
- Fixed a few visual glitches.