1. Hey Guest, welcome to the new forums. Be sure to check out this thread to get all the information you need on the cool new stuff!

[Tip] How to fix VPHYSICS Error in Console easy

Discussion in 'Tutorials & Resources' started by Bloodhound, Mar 9, 2012.

1. Bloodhound

Bloodhound L6: Sharp Member

Thanks Received:
    The Problem:
    When we create a prop_static, the default value for "Collisions" to "Use VPhysics".
    Some models (for example the payload tracks) don´t have such a collision model.
    After loading the the map, the console is full with errors.

Example:
    Code:
    [COLOR="Red"]
    SOLID_VPHYSICS static prop with no vphysics model! (models/props_forest/wood_patch4_small.mdl)
    SOLID_VPHYSICS static prop with no vphysics model! (models/props_mining/track_straight_256.mdl)
    SOLID_VPHYSICS static prop with no vphysics model! (models/props_mining/track_straight_256.mdl)
    SOLID_VPHYSICS static prop with no vphysics model! (models/props_farm/wood_support001.mdl)
    SOLID_VPHYSICS static prop with no vphysics model! (models/props_farm/wood_support001.mdl)
    SOLID_VPHYSICS static prop with no vphysics model! (models/props_farm/gutter_end001.mdl)
    SOLID_VPHYSICS static prop with no vphysics model! (models/props_farm/gutter_hole.mdl)
    SOLID_VPHYSICS static prop with no vphysics model! (models/props_farm/gutter_pipe_end.mdl)
    SOLID_VPHYSICS static prop with no vphysics model! (models/props_spytech/radar002.mdl)
    SOLID_VPHYSICS static prop with no vphysics model! (models/props_mining/track_straight_128.mdl)
    SOLID_VPHYSICS static prop with no vphysics model! (models/props_mining/track_straight_128.mdl)
    [/COLOR]

We now could check every prop in hammer, if the right value is selected. D:
    This would be very time-consuming.

The Solution:
    Edit: Sergis posted an easier method here.

It´s easier to use a text editor (I use Notepad++).

Open up your .vmf file and search for a model name that was in the console (e.g.: "models/props_mining/track_straight_256.mdl")

Code:
    entity
    {
    	"id" "1222187"
    	"classname" "prop_static"
    	"angles" "0 1.75 0"
    	"fademindist" "-1"
    	"fadescale" "1"
    	"model" "models/props_mining/track_straight_256.mdl"
    	"skin" "0"
    	[COLOR="Yellow"]"solid" "6"[/COLOR]
    	"origin" "-1265 -602 -158.5"
    	editor
    	{
    		"color" "255 255 0"
    		"visgroupshown" "1"
    		"visgroupautoshown" "1"
    		"logicalpos" "[0 13500]"
    	}
    }

The value "6" means, that the model uses VPhysics:
    Change this value for every model entity of this type to "0" and continue with the next model.

0 = Not solid
    2 = Use bounding box
    6 = Use VPhysics

This should save you some time. ;)

Last edited: Mar 9, 2012
    Freyja, Micnax and Fr0Z3nR thanked this.
  2. Micnax

aa Micnax L0: Terribly Lazy Mapper

Thanks Received:
    That's still quite time consuming, but nethertheless a good shortcut for the problem.

Thanks!

3. Sergis

aa Sergis L666: ])oo]v[

Thanks Received:
    a better tip

open the entity report in hammer (map - entity report)

filter by class "prop_static" and by key/value "model" = "paste the model name given by console"

[​IMG]

and fix all the props with same model at a time

also, entering value name "track_" will give all the trackpiece props, which is useful for quickly killing payload consolespam
    edit - and disabling track shadows

Last edited: Mar 9, 2012
    Tom Hoen, Micnax, YM and 1 other person thanked this.
  4. YM

aa YM LVL100 YM

Thanks Received:
    +1 to that's a bad method, the entity report is the way to go. select them all at once. There's never a need to actually edit with notepad unless you're doing extreme debugging or something silly like combining brushes

5. xzzy

aa xzzy

Thanks Received:
    Are there any performance related reasons to do this, or is it only motivated by wanting to be tidy?

A number of Valve maps barf red errors in the console (mountainlab is the worst offender I know of) so my assumption is it's "okay", but it is annoying to bring up the console and see a bunch of easy to fix problems.

6. Micnax

aa Micnax L0: Terribly Lazy Mapper

Thanks Received:
    It's okay for cart tracks since they don't need collisions, but if you do it with a prop that does need collisions, people are gonna be walking through them, so it's better to make them non-solid anyway and wrap them with clips/playerclips.

7. stevethepocket

aa stevethepocket I can fix it!

Thanks Received:
    Now I'm curious whether Boojum's prop collection file has the props with no collision models pre-set to no collisions, the same way animated props were set to be dynamic rather than static. Seems like it'd be a handy feature.

8. Rexy

aa Rexy The Kwisatz Haderach

Thanks Received:
    Vphysics errors in the console are like the point system on "Who's Line is it Anyway?"

[​IMG]

Tom Hoen and Micnax thanked this.
  9. Trotim

aa Trotim

Thanks Received:
    Suddenly I am reminded of this:

Don't be a yyler, fix VPHYSICS errors

Micnax thanked this.
  10. tyler

aa tyler snail prince, master of a ruined tower

Thanks Received:
    Keep in mind you or whoever was bugging me about a god damn alpha map and this is the kind of thing I would only ever bother to do in beta.

I'm flattered you remember my post history so well, Trotim.

I'm also confused by Joodude thanking contrarian posts????