surge of "gimmick" maps?

rt3407v06p909

L1: Registered
Apr 16, 2008
To set you straight, that statement was not aimed specifically at you, nor has it anything to do with being a definition of a gimmicky map. I considered removing it or adding extra clarification at the time but I didn't think you'd be able to misinterpret it so severely

Yeah, audience clarification would definitely be a good idea, for next time, Youme. Pretty hard not to take it personally given the content of the post, and the fact that you quoted me in your response. Be honest now...

And no Shmitz, if I've learned anything from this community, it's that I will never. ever. EVER release any map to the public. Not if I map for ANOTHER 10 years.

Ace

L3: Member
Feb 15, 2008
Ahh...Something really tells me that this thread has got a little out of hand for some people. I guess motivational words have different impacts on different people. Just look at the different outcomes between me and rt through Youme's /abuse/ I mean advise.
Although I can't help but feel some people have been a little harsh...

Back on topic, I've started using this, spreading the word - there is another way - the real mappers way, the TF2 mappers way

Last edited:

grazr

Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle
aa
Mar 4, 2008
Ace said:
Ahh...Something really tells me that this thread has got a little out of hand for some people.

Every time i come back to this thread i keep expecting it to be closed.

A lot of people are being paranoid and jumping on the defensive whilst others only offer their opinion and and advice. I've already been accused of being obsessed and arragont simply for voicing my standards and being enthusiastic about other people improving their abilities as i have over the years, and having their own, improved, standards. I'd imagine it probably would be closed if it wasn't for the forums being quiet and this being a reliable thread for people to frequantly reply too and provide easy entertainment. I feel so wrong after posting in this thread, but still, something keeps drawing me in.

Last edited:

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
I know what you mean grazr, I really don't want to post my lengthy views because I know there will be someone who disagrees or misinterprets or takes it too strictly. It hasn't been closed because there is a lack of extremisnt moderation on this site, whilst that might let the odd OTT thread though its not a bad thing because there hasn't really been much need for moderation here we seem to self moderate quite well.

So I'd like to calm this thread down and get back to the original topic: having thought about it a bit more, I don't really think there has been a 'surge' of gimmick maps, more like a steady flow that has been increasing steadily (along with the amount of non gimmick maps) I don't really see gimmick maps as a problem until it comes to getting your own non-gimmick map on servers, if they are all busy running orange_x or mario cart then you'll be kinda annoyed they are running that nonsence rather than your own quality map. but as far as playing tf2 goes, if a server changes from a quality map like cp_vertigo to a map you don't like then just change server.

Spike

L10: Glamorous Member
Feb 13, 2008
Close this thread? Why? I love it =)

DJive

Cake or Death?
aa
Dec 20, 2007
A lot of people are being paranoid and jumping on the defensive whilst others only offer their opinion and and advice. I've already been accused of being obsessed and arragont simply for voicing my standards and being enthusiastic about other people improving their abilities as i have over the years, and having their own, improved, standards.
I know what you mean grazr, I really don't want to post my lengthy views because I know there will be someone who disagrees or misinterprets or takes it too strictly. It hasn't been closed because there is a lack of extremisnt moderation on this site, whilst that might let the odd OTT thread though its not a bad thing because there hasn't really been much need for moderation here we seem to self moderate quite well.

This sums it up. IMO I've still yet to see any personal attacks, and for the "most" part there as been some really good discussion. Every time it starts to get a little bit out of control someone takes it on themselves to calm it down and bring the thread back to the original purpose.

Dox

L8: Fancy Shmancy Member
Oct 26, 2007
IMO the problem is the term "gimmick" ... there nothing necessarily wrong with a map that tries to do something unusual, unless they rely only on that and the quality of the map suffers. But gimmick its self is a negative term, so even people with well made, nonstandard maps get the label and feel offended. So lets instead of calling them gimmick maps, refer to them as "chocolate" maps (opposite of vanilla maps). Far less offensive, and far more tasty!

Dec 25, 2007
Call a spade a spade. I think you succinctly defined a gimmick map yourself:
there nothing necessarily wrong with a map that tries to do something unusual, unless they rely only on that

T

The Asylum

Really though, I dont mind gimmick maps like Volleyball or class challenges. As long as it's playable with no game-crippling issues I'm happy.

I mean, if you can't have fun on a map like Mario Kart, there's something seriously wrong with you.

Snipergen

L13: Stunning Member
Nov 16, 2007
I mean, if you can't have fun on a map like Mario Kart, there's something seriously wrong with you.

Last time I checked there was nothing seriously wrong with me. Forgive me if I don't like stupid music all over the map, crap colours and getting headshotted from god knows where. :001_huh:

DJive

Cake or Death?
aa
Dec 20, 2007
^ i couldnt play mariokart for more then 10 minutes.

lack of any effort, balance, aesthetics, or even descent custom textures made me want to rip my eyes out.

edit: besides if i wanted to play in a big box i can make one myself in a few minutes and it sure as hell wouldn't have stupid YTMND and 4chan posters that force players to look at and pointlessly increase the file size when that file size *funny enough right* could be used for *gasp* actual brushwork and props! ORLY!?1 YARLY!!!?1

/me strongly hates Mariokart

/edit 4 after many spelling errors: I need sleep =(

Last edited:

grazr

Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle
aa
Mar 4, 2008
Yea, there's a quick association between gimmick maps and "my first map" maps. Since they do both happen to be the same a lot of the time.. so people generally take the implication that by being called a gimmick map people are calling it "shit" when it may not be. The chances are though with poeple walking into the realms of gimmick maps for their first map challenges, that this is simply unlikely.

I don't like playing on mariokart. I was amused at first but only because all my friends are obsessed with mariokart and would be similarly amused by the maps theme, but in terms of having an enjoyable game, i found myself building a sentry gun ontop of the enemy spawn and camping it out.. beating the top score of a sniper in 15 minutes and making him leave. Snipers ftl.

Spike

L10: Glamorous Member
Feb 13, 2008
Almost all NIPPER maps are gimmicks and he has made more than 200 for CS 1.6... LOL

Juice

L4: Comfortable Member
Feb 17, 2008
Yeah haha, I loved the one where you could be a car by picking up a gun. Then youd see a car coming through the hallway!