Rust

PL Rust final1

• This map is featured! Our best maps, all together in one place for your viewing pleasure.

Fruity Snacks

Creator of blackholes & memes. Destroyer of forums
aa
Sep 5, 2010
Here's some screens of the whole thing basically put together: YES I WILL REMOVE THE TRACK SHADOWS GOSH

pl_forgewight_a00015.jpg
pl_forgewight_a00014.jpg

pl_forgewight_a00013.jpg
pl_forgewight_a00012.jpg

pl_forgewight_a00011.jpg

I thought I had the entities working, but there is now a bug where it wants to constantly roll forward (Like the auto-rollback, but forward instead of backwards)... So I'll be fixing that up tomorrow.

Things left to do:
  • Fix entity bugs
  • Fix Hud bugs (?) > not gamebreaking as far as I know.
  • Add blu forward spawn
  • Set up a few more dynamic doors
  • Set up some dyanmic signs for early game set up
  • Seal
  • Add HP/Ammo packs
  • Properly light up places
  • Test everything again
  • Do a solo test to make sure it doesn't crash the server

... and once that is all done and working... I'll have a1 ready...

I still need to think of a better way to end the map... though I do like the "boom" barrel...

Fruity Snacks

aa
Sep 5, 2010
Hey guess what! My elevators are still broken.

Basically, I think it might be a bug in the whole system, when you spawn into the map, the player usually does a "oh no the cart is rolling back!" shout thing, even though the match just started. and for both elevators, when it reaches the top of the elevator and should progress forward, it doesn't and I have to leave and re-enter the capture area for it to work.

I don't know what is going on and Booj seems to be a bit stumped too when I chatted with him.

I want to have at least 1 elevator in my map, but I have back-ups should it take me another week or 2 to get this right.

Fruity Snacks

aa
Sep 5, 2010

LeSwordfish

semi-trained quasi-professional
aa
Aug 8, 2010
The first point has weird gaps by the side of the ramp the cart goes up. People keep falling down there in combat and being unable to dodge the next attack.

I agree with super about the pile of planks feeling forced, but them's the breaks. Also, give the healthpack on top of them a patch.

Where you have two small health packs and an ammo one, put the health on different sides of the ammo, so players are less likely to pick up both by accident. (Many people will recommend 1 med instead of two small. Not me.)

At one point- before one of the lifts- the track changes colour. It's a 32-unit red bit next to a s-shaped blu, i think.

Was kinda fun, i guess.

Bloodhound

L6: Sharp Member
Jan 3, 2011
I pretty much like the layout of the map, it´s clear and i was familiar with after the first round.
I also like your dynamic elements.

There sadly were some (minor) gamplay effecting bugs (unclipped stair, stuck on the dynamic ramp)

I can´t really tell you something about the balance (cause of those hl2.exe crashes), but it felt fine.

The last red spawn is soo easy campable, i really don´t like it.

Here are some screenshots:

2012-01-14_00005.jpg

I stuck here while the lift is going up.
2012-01-14_00006.jpg

Thought that i can go there, but you clipped it. :O
2012-01-14_00007.jpg

The cart can´t roll back here.
2012-01-14_00008.jpg

And after touching it...
2012-01-14_00009.jpg

There should be a oneway door for red, because red only have one doorway to get to the cart (if the door is closed)
2012-01-14_00010.jpg

Should you really be able to jump to those things?
2012-01-14_00011.jpg

2012-01-14_00012.jpg

Skybox "wallhack" isn´t cool, although it´s an alpha.
2012-01-14_00013.jpg

You respawnvisualizers are all inside the doors, maybe irritating for some players.
2012-01-14_00014.jpg

Last edited:

Fruity Snacks

aa
Sep 5, 2010
The map was going BEAUTIFULLY (imo) and then half of red team got a CTSListBase: Mis-aligned node Error...

And then the cart got stuck.

... This map is cursed. But from what you guys have played of it so far, how do you guys likeit, How are the dynamic elements fitting into the map (besides breaking it)

Urban

aa
Jul 27, 2009
This is just a reminder:

Got stuck under the cart on the elevator while taunting.

Cart broke completely.

Overall had a very enjoyable time until the killer errors started coming back :p

Sep 1, 2009
Thought I would be helpful and give you a front screenshot of ye broken cart.

pl_rust_a20000.jpg

Sep 1, 2009
-That foundry prop is really OP for both teams...NERF THE F*** OUT OF IT.. seriously clip it because 1 demoman can rain hell down on the spawn room, and the spawn doors don't stop grenades D:

Mr.Late

L7: Fancy Member
Nov 27, 2009
The ramp which goes down makes player movement laggy for some reason :S.

But I liked the map nevertheless, I gave some feedback with the feedback system.

Fruity Snacks

aa
Sep 5, 2010
I am unsure what is causing the stuttering on the ramp, I might do a func_door kill/func_brush spawn thing like hightower does, but not sure. I don't see it as a horribley broken gameplay mechanic, so it will probably be fixed later... Right now thought I've nerfed the canopy next to the final ramp, and am adding a drop-down on the left side. You can enter it through the well door building (which that door is fixed too) and it will be 1 way drop-down. Hopefully this will help break reds defense a little easier, but from what testing I have seen, I really like how it is playing.

I will be adding a dynamic sign outside of blu's forward also. Expect another update in the next day or 2.

Thank you everyone for playing, I got 2 clean non-crashing tests out of the way, so I'm pretty excited about that.

I'm also going to start working on the new textures I hopefully have in mind for the map (it'll be industrial)... but I'm not sure how that'll work.

LeSwordfish

semi-trained quasi-professional
aa
Aug 8, 2010
My main issue is that the finale is just a BIT too hard to attack. i have some suggestions for that, but i'll post them later cos theyre in edited-screenshot format.

EDIT: Right. Working from the end of the map back.

FINAL CAPTURE POINT
I'm trying really hard to think of an area like the final capture point in tf2 and failing. I can't recall a single payload map that forces a climb like that on you in the end, and thundermountain is the only one i can think of. Even capture point maps usually tend to stay pretty flat nearer their ends, and Goldrush, Upward, Badwater, Badlands... if they slope at all, its generally down.

It's different from pipeline because pipeline forces you up the carts tracks, incedentally, without much in the way of cover or flanking.

As such, its a cool and interesting idea, but needs a bit more tweaking, specifically the flanks. The flanking routes aren't great. Both force you into narrow corridors, along long sightlines.

7218CF41CAE4FB85D0EC76D9373674E3B8A2559A

This isn't a great flank since, from the top of these stairs, you can see right down to the corner in the corridor. Spamming down is easy as soldier, and it shouldn't be, since it's so easy on the rest of the final area.

Instead, i'd move the stairs around to here-
4BE36D0F2B3A73B94C6847FCC00DFF9A85912B2F

- so that players are on height parity with the bottom of the stairs below the foundry prop when they round the corner. This should force spammers forward a bit, to where theyre more vulnerable. I noticed Red never much counter-pushed down this flank, likely since blu usually held the bottom of the ramp themselves.

This should make defending this corridor a bit harder and attacking along it easier. This whole idea seemed better before i typed it up, so meh.

Also, i'd make this flank a bit bigger. IIRC it's by the edge of the map, so you could expand it, perhaps into the sort of flank you see in Badwater, between control points 2 and 3 (the room with two levels and the machinery. Anything to make it less of a single corridor.

Another idea i had was a dropdown/one way door through from the area visible through the window in the last screenshot. I dunno if that would get used much, or too much though. It might be OP for spies and such.

OTHER STUFF

• Put Hazard tape on the ramps. Theyre shallow enough for players to not automatically presume theyre rollback.
  • Several people were saying you should make this door open sooner. I agree. As it is now, it slows and confuses players, and stays closed for so long that occasionally combat takes place at the doorway in the top left of this shot, which isn't a good place for it since red have only one route.
  • The colour of the track changes all over the place. Just niggling.
  • Again, niggling, but the way Cp 1 is angled looks kinda... i dunno, but i don't like it.
  • The area outside blu's spawn is a bit dull.

I hope some of that made sense.

Last edited:

Fruity Snacks

aa
Sep 5, 2010
Anyways, released a3... going to let that test for a day or 2.

Changes include:
The well door into the last area opens whenver you walk up to it, stays open after when the train passes a certain point in the track
Added a sign to blu's forward spawn
Changed the ground to reflect what I would like the final look to be (I wanted color)
Added a 1 way drop down into the final area (left side, if coming from blu)
Redid the left side flank to be more open and less spammy.

Things I'll be watching/possibly changing:
How final plays
Red Forward (I honestly don't know where exactly to put this, probably around cp 2)
Blu primary spawn re-tweek
Red final spawn - make it less campy (probably will either bring it farther down the side it is on, or straddle it over both sides)

I'll be starting to do custom textures for this soon (weee biggish project)... expect something maybe looking like this:
2121350191_017d0c1139_o.jpg

May 2, 2009
I was going to say something about the red's current spawn but seems like you're already on it. Then I'm just going to say it was fun to play and hopefully my sentry & teleporter helped the map near the first door. Looking forward how your textures going to turn up.